Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't access Nvidia Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

I used to be able to access the Nvidia Control Panel, and I don't know what changed that made it so that I can't access the Nvidia Control Panel.

I did a system restore to an older point, but the problem still persists.

When I try to access the Nvidia control Panel, It says something about not recognizing the Nvidia graphics card on my computer.

Here is a Speccy link because I do not want to list every spec of my laptop.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/iPr07kFK8aje7ISlX2dIJlU

I run Windows 8 64 bit and use a Intel Graphics card as well as the Nvidia GTX 760m

It seems that the computer does not recognize the Nvidia card.

I did a driver update from the Asus website, because my computer is ASUS n56jr laptop.  My games work now, but I still can't access the Nvidia control panel.  Rather than having a popup message, I double click on Nvidia control panel under Hardware and Sound in control panel, and nothing happens.

As I said before, this problem hasn't happened before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hi,

Are you using the latest version of the Nvidia drivers? I just updated my system less than two weeks ago.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

where do I download them?  From the Asus site?  Nvidia site?

I also get this error code 43 with my Nvidia graphics cards when I look at it in device manager.

Edited by signofzeta, 09 June 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#4 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

Because I got the error code 43, I tried to disable and renable the driver, and now my screen just turns on and off.  When it is on, you will see a black screen with nothing on it.  When it is off, the screen, well it is off.  The screen turns on for a second, then is off for a second, then turns on for a second.  Now I can't see anything on my computer.  What do I do now?

#5 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

I managed to do a hard reset and my screen is back on.  I still have the stupid error code 43 with my nvidia drivers.  I was able to run GLquake before, but I don't know what happened to cause it to no longer run.  I know that before I did the driver update, GLquake does run, but after the driver update, it doesn't run anymore.

I would love it if I can have the driver that I had before, but it seems that I can no longer roll back the driver.  As I said, I did a system restore, and that didn't help either.  I just don't know what happened.  I didn't even touch this computer or did any major changes to it, other than install Crystaldatainfo and some games, and now the Nvidia graphics card just doesn't work, which makes the $1400 price tag of this laptop moot.

I could now get Doom 3 and Quake 4 to run, but now I can't get GLquake to run.

Usually updating things is the best way to go for security, but if the update causes more problems, it makes me think twice if I want to update anything, if it could mess with the programs I frequently use.  As I said before, I am not updating to windows 8.1, because I heard that the Nvidia Geforce 760m and windows 8.1 just don't go well together, but it seems I don't even have to do anything and there are now problems.

I also want to know one thing.  If let's say I did something and my laptop display does not turn on, or the screen is black, because of driver issues, which means I can't see anything on the screen, what do I do?  I was lucky enough that by doing one hard reset, and by unplugging my laptop, I am able to get the screen working again.

I just don't know why my Nvidia graphics card would stop working all of a sudden.

#6 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

Just to let you know, my Nvidia GTX 760m driver is version 332.28.

#7 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

Managed to uninstall the driver, restart the computer and let windows automatically install the driver when the computer starts up.  It seems that the driver being used is an older version and the error code 43 is gone, but I still can't access Nvidia control panel.  I get this message, whereas before I do not get this message.  Now I don't remember what Nvidia driver this laptop had when I first purchased it.

Attached File  nvidia error screen.png   7.76KB   0 downloads

I also want to know if windows update also updates my Nvidia drivers, because sometimes there is this one version I want to keep on using because it is the one that works.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

#8 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

Ok, restarted my computer.  Error code 43 is back.

Here is what I find.  I can fix the error code 43 when I uninstall the Nvidia driver, but when I restart, error code 43 comes back.

#9 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Its has something to do with that NVidia Driver. Try installing the version just before the newest one. Also make sure you graphics card is firmly in its socket. 

#10 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

I have a laptop, and I don't really want to mess with the internals of my laptop.

I reinstalled an older version and things seem to be working.  The only thing I kept was the PhysX.  That one is the newer version.  Now my Doom 3, Quake 4, GLquake and GLquake2 all work.

I am going to do one more test.  The disable and enable test to see if there are problems.  I will post back with the results.

#11 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

The disable enable test passed with flying colors.  The screen came back on when I re-enabled it.

I have a tip for people who own the Asus N56jr laptop with the Nvidia Geforce GTX 760m, which also includes an intel graphics card as well.

Whatever you do, if you go to the Asus site, you go to support, and go under drivers, and you will pick your OS, mine is 8 64 bit.  You will see 2 drivers.  Download them both.  Install the driver for the older one, but install PhysX from the newer one.  I really don't know if PhysX has anything to do with it, but that is the way I did it.

I had to go through so many system restores, and all that junk, just to find the correct working version of the driver.  The one I had before was actually working, except that I just needed to reinstall it, or that the PhysX wasn't working.  I don't know.

If you install Nvidia 332.28, and you try to re-enable the graphics card, your screen will go black for one second, then shut of, then turn on, then shut off.  I basically had to do a hard shutdown, and remove the battery.  It's that stupid.  So do NOT install that one.  That one is garbage.  Only install the PhysX from it.  Also install the 311.93 Nvidia drivers instead.

My situation proves that updating drivers is not always the best solution.  I updated it, and GLquake stopped working.  I got lucky that I managed to do something and suddenly my laptop is back to the way it was with all my games working.  This also shows that I am NEVER ever going to update to Windows 8.1, because the only driver there is version 332.28, which messes with my GLquake.

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Glad you found a solution.

Thank you for posting back with the details so others can profit by your hard work.

Stay well and surf safe

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#13 Supersupha

Supersupha

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

The disable enable test passed with flying colors.  The screen came back on when I re-enabled it.

I have a tip for people who own the Asus N56jr laptop with the Nvidia Geforce GTX 760m, which also includes an intel graphics card as well.

Whatever you do, if you go to the Asus site, you go to support, and go under drivers, and you will pick your OS, mine is 8 64 bit.  You will see 2 drivers.  Download them both.  Install the driver for the older one, but install PhysX from the newer one.  I really don't know if PhysX has anything to do with it, but that is the way I did it.

I had to go through so many system restores, and all that junk, just to find the correct working version of the driver.  The one I had before was actually working, except that I just needed to reinstall it, or that the PhysX wasn't working.  I don't know.

If you install Nvidia 332.28, and you try to re-enable the graphics card, your screen will go black for one second, then shut of, then turn on, then shut off.  I basically had to do a hard shutdown, and remove the battery.  It's that stupid.  So do NOT install that one.  That one is garbage.  Only install the PhysX from it.  Also install the 311.93 Nvidia drivers instead.

My situation proves that updating drivers is not always the best solution.  I updated it, and GLquake stopped working.  I got lucky that I managed to do something and suddenly my laptop is back to the way it was with all my games working.  This also shows that I am NEVER ever going to update to Windows 8.1, because the only driver there is version 332.28, which messes with my GLquake.

Hi signofzeta, 

I have the same computer, same graphic card as yours and when I updated recently, I have the exact same problem. I would like to try your method where you installed the driver from an older version but the PhysX from a newer version. But I am unsure how to begin as there are 4 drivers version in Asus support page (V9.18.13.1193 / V10.18.10.3282.01 / V10.18.10.3282.02 and V9.18.13.3228) 

Do I install driver from V9.18.13.3228 and PhysX from V9.18.13.1193? I am not good with computers. Thank you in advance. 

#14 Supersupha

Supersupha

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:05 PM

I have installed the older driver with 311.93 and newer PhysX with 332.28. Error Code 43 disappear but when I click on Nvidia Control Panel, it gives me the following message:

"NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU."

What does it mean and what can I do next? Appreciate all kind help ! 

#15 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

I currently have windows 8.1, and I am using the later 9.18.13.3228 version of the driver, as the older version isn't supported by 8.1.  What I did was when I tried to reinstall the drivers, I did a custom install, not the express one, and I put a checkmark on "perform a clean installation".  You could also try using the physx from the 9.18.13.1193 version of the drivers instead.  Note that the only driver downloads are the Nvidia ones, not the Intel ones.  I pretty much didn't touch the Intel ones.

To really be sure, uninstall the Nvidia drivers and the physx drivers before installing the new ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users