Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Remember Password to log into Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

I am helping a friend who cannot remember her password to get to the desktop in Windows 7.  In the past when she turned on the computer, it just automatically went into Windows without the need to place a password.  Now it is calling for a password and everything she thinks of is not correct.

Whenever I set up a person's computer, I do not use a Windows Password just for this very reason.

If any of you have an idea how I can bypass the password so that I can get her into her computer, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.  All she wants to do is get back to playing solitaire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

See if this helps: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535733/wrongpassword/?p=3389197

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

IMO...in situations where user has never employed a password and suddenly one is requested...chances are that malware is at work and/or basic system files are damaged.

Louis

#4 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor - Pogostick.net

This is a password deleting tool.

Instructions: Offline NT Password and Registry Editor - YouTube

#5 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

I am with Hamluois, a sytem that requests a password when none existed before and it was not set means that the system is either infected with malware/ransomware or the default account has been corrupted.  Assuming that the account is corrupted, this will help (please be SURE that there is no malware or virus first!)  You will need to log into the admin account (with Windows 7 this is NOT the default account, however in most cases the administrator account is disabled).  If you can get a copy of an ERD for Windows 7 that would be a preferred method up enabling the account, but barring that you might want to look at the instructions posted on sevenforums here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/102552-built-administrator-enable-winre.html

First, enable and log in as the administrator. Copy all of the users files out of their account (found at c:\users\<username>) without copying the entire account. It is best if you only copy the desktop, documents, favorites, pictures, music, and video folders. Ensure that you have everything that will be needed copied into a folder on a thumb-drive or a folder on the desktop.  Then properly delete the user account (right click computer, go to properties, go to advanced system settings, click on settings under user profiles, find and delete the user account).  Restart the computer, then create a new user account.  Have the user log in, then log out and restart again.  Log in with administrator account, copy all of the recovered files back into the users folders. Restart again and the user should be good to go.

Next, create yourself a recovery account to prevent this from happening again.  Basically, create an admin account that is NOT the users normal account.  Keep it hidden, but enabled.  Then disable the built in admin account, as it served it's purpose. If you are unable to do this please find someone who can safely accomplish the tasks safely.

(edit: corrected spelling errors)

Edited by wing987, 10 June 2014 - 02:15 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users