Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2003 server, raid disk setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blackturbo

blackturbo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

Hi all,

I have a question about a windows 2003 server that contains two harddrives set up in a raid that Iam managing. the server is kinda old, but still running. its about 12 years old. 2 weeks ago during an electrical storm the computer had to be shut down, and brought back up. upon  boot it detected an error with one of the drives. so we shut it back down and restarted and it came back up with no errors.

today I wanted to see the health of the harddrives (i did not set the server up) , so I go into computer management, then into disk management. I only see one drive plus the CD drive. Shouldnt I be seeing both harddrives in disk management? How can I see if both harddrives are still working? they are mirrored together. from the scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, i rate myself a 7 and am A+ cert. I know 2003 is old, but its enough for the business I work for still using all XP machines. Thanks for the replies :)

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

No you would need to reboot and get into the bios. Soem servers like Dell have their own management software which allows you to view and configure raids while in Windows OS.

Its a old server alright lol.

The best thing about the newer servers is you can use the managment port (eth0 IP address configured through bios) to connect to an active server running any OS, this allows you to view bios settings and configure them on the fly.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 09 June 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Whether (Windows server) disk manager sees one drive or two will be down to how the disks are presented to Windows.

RAID can be done in Software (attach two or more disks to - for the want of a better word "dumb" controllers; See the disks in Windows disk management, and set up Software raid up in Windows itself), or in Hardware (the controller is a RAID controller with all the disks attached to it; you configure that through a BIOS extension or a manufacturer utility, RAIDing the disks together there; The manufacturers drivers then present a single "Logical" dive to windows.)

The software approach uses server CPU power to manage the RAID array; The Hardware approach has a process on the RAID adapter that handles the RAID. Windows thinks it has a single drive and you only see that in Windows Disk management. Hardware RAID adapters impose less load on the CPU of the system, and often handle drive failure/replacement/rebuilding in a much more easily managed.

You don't say what the error detected was. Sometime after a power glitch, the system will see the disks in a RAID array are potentially inconsistent and rebuild the array into a consistent state again. Could it have been that which you saw?

Anyway... Look in Device manager for you disk controller - If it is a mentions 'RAID' or 'Array' in the name it will be one of the smarter variety. You may find management software on the server or need to hit a function key during boot to enter the RAID configuration utility.

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users