Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Was A Gift

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 book

book

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

I got my computer as a gift. Its not new but it was all cleaned out. I recently found out the the person that gave it to me is an administrator on my computer. He was at my house and I didn't want to give him my password. He signed on as administrator. My question, could he be spying on me ? Could my computer be hooked up to one of his ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:58 PM

If you have broadband = DSL or Cable it is very likely he could be. Do you know the admin password? If you do change it and write it down and keep it away fromn everybody. I would suggest having someone who knows computers check your out for anything that looks like this other person could have setup. Question I have is what was he doing on your computer and did you give him permission to use it?

#3 book

book
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

Well he was at my house the other day and I told him my monitor screen stays on so he asked for my password. I wouldn't give it to him. He signed on anyway. I do have DSL. About the screen I just unplug it.

I don't know anybody that can take a look at my computer except for him and that is not an option. I just want to find out, if so I'll give it back and never talk to him again.

Edited to add....I do not know the password.

Edited by book, 26 May 2006 - 05:08 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:22 PM

If you have the Restore disks or the Operating System disk the only way you can be sure he cannot acess your computer is to do a clean install.
If he did not block you from installing software I would recommend a firewall to stop suspicious traffic on your computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:26 PM

If your friend gave you this computer, and you had a problem and asked him about it, and he took the time to try to help you, I would think that he had your interest at heart. If you want to put him to the test, ask him to help you remove his status as administrator and add you name as the new one.

In my best imitation of Mr. Rogers..."can you say paranoia? I knew you could".

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:30 AM

If you're on a broadband connection, then you are wide open to the internet whenever your pc is turned on.
That's very dangerous unless you have multi-layered Anti-Spyware software running and a very good Anti-Virus program like AVG FREE. (not Norton or McAfee)
Plus a good firewall, of course.

Turn it OFF when you're not using it. Don't worry about that monitor.

What you should be worrying about is that you HAVE ADMINISTRATOR priveledges.
Then, you can change whatever you want to without any problem.

Happy Computing,
The Shadow :thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#7 goldthorn

goldthorn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:09 AM

Try this.
what is your OS?
assuming you are using xp, try in safe mode..
after POST, hit F8 key and select safe mode, after that log in administrator account and change your password user account in control panel.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:22 AM

That is the problem, as described in Post #1. The person who originally had the computer set the Administrator's password before he gave it to her.
There are three options. 1 would be to have that person give her the password. 2 is clean install windows. 3 would be to crack the password, which is not an option that will be allowed thru this forum.
Any discussion of crack would result in the closing of this topic. I mentioned that just in case you we wondering.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:13 AM

Any administrator can change/reset the other admin password.

If you have an account with administrator priveleges, go to the control panel, then to "User Accounts", select your friend's account and change the password.

Do not delete the account as it might be (and probably is) the built in administrator account (owners account) that Windows XP set up when it was installed. You can change the name on it however, but if you do, you will not be able to access documents stored under it without going through another process to take ownership of whatever may be there.

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

If you want to change your password in your administrative account in your computer here is the fix for it.

Forgotten Admin or User's Password = Win NT/2K/XP

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

When you have a new one wirite it down and hide it so nobody can find it.

#11 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

The link that ThorXP gave will let you download the image of a bootable CD called an ISO format file. It can be burned to a new CD using Nero, Roxio or the free program CDBurnerXP Pro.

Again, The link to the download and instructions page is http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html. The download link is near the bottom of this long page. Download file cd060213.zip. You'll need an unzipping program such as WinZip to extract the .ISO file. Follow the instructions given on ths download page. At first it appears that the program is very complicated, but if you give all the default answers it turns out to be very easy to use. The default answers will reset the administrator's password to blank (no password at all).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users