Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am constantly told that my drivers are slow.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 maccatee

maccatee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi All, I am a complete novice to a site like this. My aim is to learn as I have retired from work 4 years and I get great deal of pleasure from my computer. There is so much to learn. I have downloaded lots of tool to clean my drivers and I find some one wants to get money from me with a registration fee. I have thought about this for some time and maybe it can be cheaper way to do it. I am open to serious suggestions which is why I chose this site. Thank you for listening to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Did you mean drives instead of drivers?  You don't clean drivers, but you can clean drives.  However with modern computers the need to do that is rare because disk space is cheap and plentiful, and Windows 7 automatically does defrags when it detects that your system is idle.  As for drivers, you only want to use the ones that come from your computer's manufacturer, and you don't want to update them unless you have a specific problem.  That is to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  :thumbup2:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

maccatee, Welcome to BC Fourms! :)

Many of these online driver services are a scam at best. Most allow a free initial scan & will report numerous drivers not up to date & for a fee, will offer to "update" to the latest ones. First, problem with many of these sites, they're not error free, many will download & install generic drivers that *may* not be best for your model & cause issues or loss of function.

It's best to go to the sites of your hardware, be it Intel, AMD, sound & Ethernet drivers from Realtek, so forth & do it from free. Both Intel & AMD has their own automated driver detection utility, as does NVIDIA. Here's a tutorial on how to lookup drivers for your computer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089404/how-to-easily-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-windows.html

Hope that you find this to be of help. There is no need to have to pay for driver updates, as long as you're willing to learn.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

I have downloaded lots of tool to clean my drivers...

"Clean drivers"??  I'm mystified.  Could you name these tools?  It would help us to determine if these are genuine.

Edited by Agouti, 09 June 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

I have downloaded lots of tool to clean my drivers...

"Clean drivers"??  I'm mystified.  Could you name these tools?  It would help us to determine if these are genuine.

So am I, in regards to being mystified. Haven't heard of driver cleaning sites, the only thing that I can think of in this regard is registry cleaning sites. which aren't safe to use & in unskilled hands can render a computer unbootable. Plus BC Forums doesn't sanction nor recommend the use of these.

I also would be interested in seeing these sites, so that it would be clear as to what the OP is attempting to accomplish. My fear is that of being scammed.

With all of the 100% Free Professional assistance provided on this very forum, there's no need to pay for any of these services. in particular drive cleanup & updating drivers.

Again, registry cleaning is a no-no at BC Forums. :nono:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

I have to agree, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I follow this golden rule and have solid running, reliable trouble free computers.

I never clean or optimize the registry or drives, and have yet to update the drivers I installed in the computers I built or the laptops and this All-In-One computer.

They run, they do not crash, they are fast, they are trouble free and best of all beyond keeping the Antivirus subscription going and the making sure I have latest versions of the Antivirus and Malwarebytes Premium, They both have version and update checks. They are maintenance free. Once in a Blue moon if needed, I clean out the dust and that is the end of my preventative maintenance performed. In Fact I just changed from my Old Antivirus that about expire in a few days to a newer one and now have a one year subscription again.

My Antivirus and MalwareBytes Premium have saved my bacon more than once when I am researching a problem here.

As Cat1092 said, Save Your money there is plenty of free help here. I never investigated this fact, but I suspect that those sites that push junkware hate this site. By Junkware I mean Registry cleaners, optimizers, Computer tuneups Software peddlers.

I Knew people that used that sort of software, I made money fixing what they had broken.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

Hi maccatee please know that usually an exact description of some notice, error message etc. is most helpful when requesting help

The recommendations  to include the name of the tools in question is a good start and I look forward to knowing what they are myself

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Well...I'm just curious as to...who...is telling you that your drivers are slow :).

Louis

#9 maccatee

maccatee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Hi Louis, while I was connecting to the internet I would get pop ups flashing warnings and it frightened the life out of me. This was happening regular. Maccatee.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hi Maccatee,

Also, welcome to BC !  Any chance you could take a screenshot next time you get one of these pop-ups ?  It would make life much easier for us to get an idea of what is happening. You know the old saying - one picture is worth a thousand words !  It is quite easy - honest !

When you have one of these pop-ups on screen, press the PrtScrn button on your keyboard and it will take an image of your desktop at the time you press the button.

Then open 'Paint' if you don't have any other graphics software. To open Paint, click in turn 'Start - All programs - Accesories - Paint' and Paint will open. Then press the Ctrl button and the letter 'V' together (usually referred to as Ctrl + V) and your screenshot will be pasted into Paint. Save it as a .JPG type file somewhere where you can find it - you'll need it in a minute.

Then you will need to open a free on-line storage account, unless you have one already, If you use Gmail I think you can have 5Gb of storage free on Google, but you can always use something like Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) which is free for amounts up to 2 Gb of images etc.. Stolen has written a very good article on BC on how to post images, see here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526405/how-to-insert-an-image/

Then all you need to do is get the link from Dropbox or whoever you decide to use and paste the link in your next post. Here is a link to one of the images I keep on line as an example :-

http://imageshack.com/a/img577/9316/v3k4.jpg

Have a go - it really is quite easy and will really help us decide better on exactly what your problem is.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

My aim is to learn as I have retired from work 4 years and I get great deal of pleasure from my computer. There is so much to learn.

macatee, you've got the right idea if you want to learn.  However, you should make security and safe practices your first priority.  That way, you won't fall for scams and you'd keep your computer clean.  This is serious because once you venture on the internet there are lots of risks.

I have downloaded lots of tool to clean my drivers and I find some one wants to get money from me with a registration fee.

That's an example of a scam.  Most of those people who advertised cleaners are really interested in parting you from your hard-earned money.

As Chris advised, if you post screenshots of these popups we would be in a better position to judge what is happening and would be able to provide more appropriate advice.

Stolen has written a very good article on BC on how to post images, see here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526405/how-to-insert-an-image/

BTW, 2 things Chris.  First, the link is broken.  It's http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/

Second, I may be wrong, but I believe you should use an image hosting site.  I don't think Dropbox will work.

#12 maccatee

maccatee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

Thanks guys for your comments I will do my best you have helped me so much really. Maccatee.

#13 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Maccatee,

I dont know about the others but I am sure interested in what program is telling you to clean your drivers, and what the pop-up looks like.  It would also help us get your system cleared of these problem programs so you can surf the internet safely and without worry.  Could you please post as much information as possible on these programs, pictures too if you can.  Much appreciated!

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

Agouti  #11`

I don't want to confuse the issue, but Dropbox does store photos, images and screenshots, see below :-

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/gg16ff57grihcf8/AAAYmX5hy1wzDqWIH_PPdCYXa

But I only mentioned Dropbox as one example of many. And the other link I posted takes me straight to Stolen's article in the 'New User orientation' section of BC.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

maccatee, All of the responses have a common base: proper maintenance & security

This can take time and effort but it has tremendous value to do so

I remember when I was a complete novice, didn't even know how to ask the right question and taking a long time to follow through on solving problems. Taking one problem at a time is a good start

My just retired XP computer still ran like new when support for its OS was discontinued

Now I'm using Windows 7 just like you have and I look forward to keeping it in as new condition also thanks to the excellent information & support available here on BC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users