Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with a SATA hard disk external case?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 IamtheBleepingComp

IamtheBleepingComp

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

Hi, this is my first post.

I purchased a 3.5" 1TB SATA hard disk from a car boot sale the other day. It came with a silver external case (enclosure), which I can put the hard disk in.

I inserted the hard disk inside the case and connected the two cables (of the hard disk and the case) with each other. On the back of the case are two ports: a USB 2.0 port and a Power port, as well as a On/Off switch and a 'R/W' lamp. I don't know what to do now because I currently do not have a USB to USB cable at home (so that I can connect the disk with its case to a PC), and I also don't have the type of Power cable it needs (a 6-pin 12V+5V power supply - one which I have never seen before).

Looking at Amazon, there are plenty of USB to USB cables for under £2. For the power supply, I found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Estone-Enclosure-Output-Switching-Adapter/dp/B00HH45MDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402330228&sr=8-1&keywords=Hard+Drive+Enclosure+6+pin - I'm not sure if this is the right thing.

I would like to use this hard disk as a portable one, like a USB pen drive, however I am confused: Do I NEED to have a power supply, i.e. is it necessary to have electric power for the hard disk to function? I've seen many external hard disks at my school which just function by connecting it to a PC using USB, but the external case/enclosure that I have has a power port on the back, which suggests I NEED to have electric power? Also, is it necessary to have a USB to USB cable to connect the hard disk to a PC to use it as a portable hard disk?

Please help me. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Yes, for a 3.5 drive you need a power supply. 2.5 drives can be run from the power supplied by the USB port.

For the price of the adapter, I would go with a new enclosure like this one. Includes the power supply and all cables.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-SATA-to-USB-HARD-DRIVE-CADDY-HDD-CASE-ENCLOSURE-/290613098810

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 June 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Docking stations are also good & can be used for both 2.5" & 3.5" SATA drives. I have a similar model that is used for creating backups.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-Dual-SATA-IDE-Hard-Disk-Drive-HDD-Dock-Docking-Station-Stand-All-in-1-/400611397984?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item5d464cd160

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Yup. I think that power cable is the right one. I have the same thing but I don't use it anymore. The 6-pin plug always come loose and keeps powering down the drive. One time I had to tape it to the hard drive case to keep it still.

But as mentioned, USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure are cheap these days.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 IamtheBleepingComp

IamtheBleepingComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Thank you all of you for answering. That makes things more clearer for me!

John: Oh okay, so 3.5" drives need a power supply, thanks for making it clear

Cat: Docking stations seem to be pricier to purchase, so I'm avoiding that and just going with a enclosure

Badr: True, they do seem to be cheap

I've found this for a very cheap price, what do you think?:  http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/internal-hard-drives/enclosures/dynamode-usb-hd3-5si-bn-3-5-sata-ide-usb-2-0-enclosure-black-19300678-pdt.html

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

As long as USB 2.0 speeds are acceptable to you, it looks good to me. I still have a USB 2.0 enclosure, of the Vantec brand, that's still being used, though it doesn't contain my main backup drive.

These days, I try to future proof when possible. However, USB 3.0 enclosures are more pricey (in the US) than the 2.0 ones. The main reason why I don't purchase a USB 3.0 enclosure (other than having the docking station) is that for a few more dollars, I can grab an entire 1TB USB 3.0 backup drive when on promo, often for $55-$60. Good USB 3.0 enclosures costs $35-$40 (as does docking stations). So I'd be throwing cash into the wind by purchasing one.

The good sides to USB 2.0 enclosures, as has been noted already, is pricing, being portable & many are self powered. And certainly better to have than none at all.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

I use a Bytecc smart drive enclosure.  It accepts any size drive, IDE or PATA/SATA.  It will even handle larger drives with the extender cables.  Really handy to recover files and such from failed units if the drive is intact.  USB 2.0 is the most common interface. 

Edited by mjd420nova, 10 June 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Hard drive enclosures are a good investment. They are very useful and very convenient. If you could try to eliminate the "cheap" factor and get a decent one (not necessarily an expensive one) and I am sure you'll be happy you did.

I used to buy cheap ones, too. But I end up wasting money.

Edited by badr0b0t, 10 June 2014 - 02:45 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 IamtheBleepingComp

IamtheBleepingComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

I'm trying to save money along the way so might just go with the cheap one I listed.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'm trying to save money along the way so might just go with the cheap one I listed.

Have been there myself......again, having any enclosure for backup or saving items of importance is better than none at all. :thumbup2:

From many of the threads that I read & participated in over the years, it would seem that only a small percentage has one, or does & just allows it to collect dust.

Good Luck with your purchase. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 11 June 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#11 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Can't argue with that. :) All the best! :)

BTW, the one you posted has 6-pin power supply. To prevent the power adapter from going loose when you need to move the enclosure, fasten it with a sticky tape (duct tape would be the best). I had that problem 10 years ago. :)

If only you live close to me, I will give my 6-pin power adapter to you for FREE with the hard drive enclosure. It's just sitting in my drawer for several years now.

Edited by badr0b0t, 11 June 2014 - 12:16 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#12 IamtheBleepingComp

IamtheBleepingComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for your answers!

Badr, you said you bought cheap ones which ended up bad. Don't you think I should rather just buy the 6-pin power supply and the USB to USB cable to use the current enclosure I have? It does certainly look old but there are no problems. I think it will come out cheaper as well...

#13 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for your answers!

Badr, you said you bought cheap ones which ended up bad. Don't you think I should rather just buy the 6-pin power supply and the USB to USB cable to use the current enclosure I have? It does certainly look old but there are no problems. I think it will come out cheaper as well...

Problem is, we don't know for sure if the enclosure you have is still working. If you buy the power supply and the USB cable just to find out that the enclosure have problems, you can't buy just an enclosure to use your cables for. Waste of money.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#14 IamtheBleepingComp

IamtheBleepingComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

You've got a point. Since I will come out cheaper with buying cables, and I am allowed to return the products (certain ones I've seen on Amazon), I think I will go for that. If they work then great, if not then I'll return the cables to the sellers and buy myself a fresh new enclosure (though you did say that cheap ones aren't always good...)

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,881 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Yes you'll be allowed to return to Amazon seller, but will have to pay for shipping (twice, to you & from you).

It would be best, if at all possible, to buy an enclosure, everything you need will be included to install your drive.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users