Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recently replaced CMOS battery, now PC won't pass the logo screen.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grimmskld

Grimmskld

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

So I recently received a clients Dell desktop, which is running XP Pro.  Upon start-up, I received the message, "Alert, System battery voltage is low".  I promptly changed the CMOS battery, reset the factory settings, made sure the date/time was set, and corrected the start-up order (HD being first).  The system now will not boot past the Windows logo screen and I am unsure as to why.  Could something else be wrong, such as the motherboard or something more serious?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  

Specs: Dell Optiplex 755

Windows XP Pro, 32bit.  

Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2.33ghz

2GB's RAM 

160GB hard drive (5200 RPM's)

ATI Radeon graphics card

Edited by Grimmskld, 09 June 2014 - 10:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Try using a Linux Live CD or flash drive. If there is no problem with the hardware other than the

hdd then the Live CD or flash drive should boot up and display properly.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Grimmskld

Grimmskld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

I don't have a Linux CD.  So that isn't possible......

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Try resetting Mbex. It's part of Intel's managment system.

http://rtr.ca/optiplex755/

https://wikispaces.psu.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=62423617

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

You can download this ISO:  slacko-5.7.0-PAE.iso   (162 mb )

If you don't have a CD burner this one is very good: The Official ImgBurn Website

Be sure to burn to the CD....not just copy to it.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Grimmskld

Grimmskld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

So I received Unbuntu from a friend and am attempting to use that to check the drives.  So any advice with this program would be useful.

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

Ubuntu has a user interface pretty close to Windows.  The colors are different and the familiar 3 controls for minimizing, maximizing and canceling are on the left side of windows instead of the right.  It takes a little getting used to, but that didn't take long in my experience.  If you want something a little closer to Windows than Ubuntu, you could try the Mint version of Linux.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

You can use Disk Utility to check the status of the hard drive.

#9 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Does the system reboot after the windows logon? Does it freeze completely? Does it just stay on "Logging in" forever?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#10 Grimmskld

Grimmskld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

It just gives a blank screen (black).......no mouse icon or anything.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users