Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best free antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 monday_mornings

monday_mornings

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

I'm using windows live essentials since it's what came with my windows 7 laptop, but I hear it's not the most reliable, and I have been finding it lets a fair amount through. Any recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

Sorry, I meant Microsoft Security Essentials

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

Avast and AVG are the two I always hear about.  I've used the free AVG for years with no problems, and I hear a lot of good things about free Avast too.  I'm using Defender with my Windows 8.1 systems; it has MSE integrated in Windows 8, and it works fine too.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

I've heard Avast and AVG praised before, good to know that ties in with people's experiences. No problems with the download/install?

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

No problems with AVG and MSE.  For some reason when I tried the free Avast, it worked fine until I tried updating it, then I got hit with malware when I did the update.  I downloaded it from the avast.com web site, so it should've been OK, but I dunno what went wrong.  I've never seen anybody else report that problem, so maybe I somehow didn't download from the right place.  You sure have to be careful about where you download from these days!

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

I've been using the Avast FREE version for almost a decade now without a single issue. But as I always say, the best anti-virus is knowing what you are doing online. The anti-virus software is just your second layer of protection.

Edited by badr0b0t, 09 June 2014 - 10:12 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hi. You might want to think about the Paid version of MalwareBytes Pro as a Antivirus Helper. I run both as active protections. If You search You might be able to find the Lifetime paid version rather than the newest yearly subscription model.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

No problems with AVG and MSE.  For some reason when I tried the free Avast, it worked fine until I tried updating it, then I got hit with malware when I did the update.  I downloaded it from the avast.com web site, so it should've been OK, but I dunno what went wrong.  I've never seen anybody else report that problem, so maybe I somehow didn't download from the right place.  You sure have to be careful about where you download from these days!

Good luck.

I did something like that recently, thought I was downloading a virus cleaner, got something that's probs a virus. Irony can be cruel!

#9 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

I've been using the Avast FREE version for almost a decade now without a single issue. But as I always say, the best anti-virus is knowing what you are doing online. The anti-virus software is just your second layer of protection.

Good to know. I'd agree with you, though as a non-tech person I'm pretty much just learning from trial and error what not to do. I don't tend to get bitten with the same bug twice at least!

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Here are some threads in this same sub-forum on this topic:

With a little searching I'm sure you'll find dozens.

#11 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

Ok thanks, I'll look at them instead then.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Please read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 justinkemp99

justinkemp99

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

You can try the following antivirus software:

Immunet antivirus - http://www.immunet.com/free/index.html

AVG - http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

Since the release of AVG 2011/2012/2013, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings. I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Please read: Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users