Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome browser

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 tyler4402

tyler4402

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hi 

I need a bit of help with a new d'load of the latest Chrome browser, as I can't seem to set it to my personal settings.

The tabs and address bar seem far to big, as does the Favourites or bookmarks bar, there is also a "other bookmarks" folder on the favourites bar which I can't move.

The Google search bar box on my ISP home page is very big and takes up more room 

Each time I open a web page I have to press - and Ctrl to reduce the txt, because when I set the "Customise and Control" settings it returns to +175% and when I try to put a spot or check in the mode of my choice it stays blank, while some of the text boxes & text overlap into each other.

Any help in sorting the browser will be appreciated, regards Robert. 

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2014 - 02:12 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

Try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it...sounds like something went haywire with the download.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

What prompted you to download Chrome again?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Normally Chrome will update itself when clicking "About Google Chrome" from the drop down list in the upper right corner, below the box to close the browser. It will search for updates, download any & be prompted to reload Chrome to update. A UAC notice may appear to allow the update to take place.

However this won't work on guest or secondary or limited privilege accounts.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 tyler4402

tyler4402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:27 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for your help, it was the FileHippo Update Checker which said the Chrome needed updating, so I let it get on with it, and ever since its been "all to pot" not sure what a "A UAC" is but I will uninstall the program and download it again, regards Robert. 

#6 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

It sounds like you have set the Chrome Web Content tab for Page zoom to 175%.  Change it to a smaller % (110% works great for me) then close Chrome.  When you reopen, the new setting should be in effect. 

Chrome \ Settings \ show Advanced settings \ Web Content \ Page Zoom

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#7 tyler4402

tyler4402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hi again all, I have uninstalled and then re-installed the program, and it looks like its ok now, and the page zoom stays as set, I can't find a drop down list or menu below the - & x mine has a bookmark star, an icon for the Avast, and the three bars for the "Customize and control" Google Chrome, in fact I can't find anything that says Update, and I'm still not sure what a UAC is?  regards Robert  

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

UAC, User Account Control settings.

You will find this in the Control Panel under User Accounts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 tyler4402

tyler4402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi many thanks for that, the program is working as it should now, I will try to find the auto update function, and ignore the Update Checker.regards Robert.  

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

tyler4402, the function tab is directly under the Close tab (the red X), the 3 horizontal lines. Hovering over those will show "Customize and control Google Chrome". Click onto that & you'll see "About Google Chrome", it's near the bottom, right below "Settings" & above "Help"

Once you click onto About Google Chrome, the current version will show & it'll automatically check for updates. This will take a few seconds.

Also, in case you haven't, the creation of a GMail account will allow you to retain settings. You sign into the browser using the same email credentials (username & password), this syncs your settings, bookmarks, extensions (addons). Then whenever you install Google Chrome on another computer or OS, sign in & everything will be there in a matter of a couple of minutes at the most, depending on ISP & computer speed.

The sign in page opens whenever Google Chrome is opened & there's no active login.

Hope this helps to explain.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 tyler4402

tyler4402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hi CAT, thanks for that, but I think I must have a different Chrome to everybody else :-) in my Chrome there is nothing below the X only the three bars to open the Customize and Control menu, when the menu is open there is nothing at all between Settings & Help.

I have searched the C&C menu and there is nothing to point to an update link, I did take a couple of screen prints to show you, but a don't know how to append them on here.

Regards Robert. 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

I have searched the C&C menu and there is nothing to point to an update link, I did take a couple of screen prints to show you, but a don't know how to append them on here. 

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

#13 tyler4402

tyler4402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Many thanks, 

#14 tyler4402

tyler4402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Hi CAT, my text box must be different to yours, after I clicked on More Reply Options, the text box has all the editing tools etc, but no paper clip icon or "Attach this file" or Brows button, and no Clear Selection either.

Among the tools above the text box there is a square icon and when I hover it says Image, and when I click on it an Image properties box shows with a text box asking for a URL. that's all I can find.

Nothing below the text box but the Add Reply - Preview Post - or cancel.

Regards Robert.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

tyler4402, then you must indeed have a different Google Chrome than most of us, the option of About Google Chrome is on all of mine. On Linux Mint, it's kept up to date through the normal updating system, generally hours after release.

In fact, it's updating as I'm typing this post on Firefox, from version  35.0.1916.114 m  to version  35.0.1916.153 m.

After relaunching, It now states "Google Chrome is up to date". It will be interesting to see a screenshot of what you have.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users