Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hitman Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

With all the comments on this site, I decided to test it out.  So on my test computer, I ran it and it identified 3 files, ALL OF WHICH I KNOW ARE CLEAN.

So I copied the files to another drive (internal), so if they were "cleaned" by another program on the "C" drive, I could copy them back into place.  I reset the computer, and tested the files against Avast, Malwarebytes, Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware, Emsisoft, AND OTHER antivirus and antimalware programs.  I also uploaded the files to multiple online scanning sites, and the results were negative in all cases, except Hitman Pro.

Between each test, the test computer was reset using Paragon Backup and Recovery, to insure nothing interferred with the test.  What I did was (local program test):

1.  Reset the computer without antimalware, antivirus, etc programs.
2.  Installed the appropriate software.
3.  Scanned the computer.
4.  Started at #1 again.

After all the testing, which took hours, and one final test with Hitman Pro, it is my opinion that the 3 files were false positives.

I'M NOT SAYING that Hitman Pro is a bad program, I just wanted to make this testing results known, and that false positives are a definite possibility.

Have a great day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

What are the 3 files in question?

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

The post was prepared, offline a few days ago, and I just neglected to post it, until a little bit ago.  I've already deleted them off my system (the copies), and reset my test computer.  One was a freeware replacement for Windows Explorer, and the other two I don't recall the names, at this moment.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

I reset my test machine, with the same Paragon Image from a few days ago, and this time it only showed two:

uedit32.exe (UltraEdit by IDM)
recuva.exe (By Piriform)

This time, it didn't include the file explorer replacement, and I know that the above aren't the same as before, because UltraEdit is my main text editor, and that would have raised a red flag for me.

At the end, when it displays the summary, it says "No threats found", but it also says "Threats detected: 2".  Inconsistent.  Since the multiple programs were used to scan the test computer a few days ago, including uploading to online scanners, this proves that Hitman Pro is inconsistent on it's scanning.  It scanned the same programs a few days ago, without a problem.

I then reset the computer again, ran Hitman Pro again, and it then said these where bad:

CCleaner.exe
Windows defrag

At the end, when it displays the summary, it says "No threats found", but it also says "Threats detected: 1", again, inconsistent.

Each time, the same disk image was used to restore the system.

False positives are a part of using antivirus and antimalware programs... it happens.  But inconsistent results, from the same image file, and same program (hitman) exe inside of 20 minutes, that's not good.

I've reported this to the owner, but something interesting was seen on their support page.  Specifically, that the e-mail for emsisoft was also there.  Remember, hitman pro is the only one that complained, and it's results were inconsistent, even within 20 minutes.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

How to Report Malware or False Positives to Multiple Antivirus Vendors

Hitman Pro...Submit false positives to BitDefender, Kaspersky, and Emsisoft as Hitman Pro uses the same signatures

When HitmanPro detects a legitimate file as malicious, one of the options it allows is to "Report that this file is safe"...Submitting HitmanPro False Positives via the program's GUI
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

The discrepancy was reported, and the main point is that Hitman Pro was consistently, inconsistent, based on what happened to me.

Have a good day.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

Understood...it wasn't clear to me where you reported....so I wanted to ensure you had the info for reporting.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users