Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally installed "download4--free bundle", can't uninstall

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 monday_mornings

monday_mornings

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

I was trying to download ADW cleaner but clicked on a dubious link that wasn't behaving normally. I went and found the link I normally use, and it worked fine. It should have also cleared my laptop of any virus I got with the dodgy link. But since then I've noticed a "download-4-free bundle" in my programmes.

I went to uninstall it, but it claims when I downloaded it I also installed absolutely every other piece of software on my laptop,including the programmes it came from the factory with, and that they will consequently be uninstalled too. The "download-4-free" install is dated from yesterday, so it definitely isn't something I just haven't noticed before. I am afraid to just uninstall it though, as I might end up uninstalling everything! How has this done this, and how can I get rid of it?

I have also run windows live essentials and malwarebytes antimalware, with no effect.

Edited by hamluis, 10 June 2014 - 07:57 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:58 AM

I should mention that my laptop isn't yet behaving abnormally, I just find the way this bundle is so resistant to removal, and has it's claws into every other bit of software, ominous. When I searched online I found no direct references to a virus like this, the closest ones were browser hijackers. When I tried to uninstall it, the uninstaller did mention that "this programme has changed the settings of your browser, to revert back to original settings press this link" but when I click the link it doesn't work. My browsers haven't changed noticeably. I'm still worried about what's going on behind the scenes though, I'd rather nip a problem in the bud BEFORE my laptop crashes in the middle of work/gets all my info stolen.

#3 sikeaux

sikeaux

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

I did the same thing last night. I'm not sure, but I might've gotten it. I used WinDirStat, found the file location and deleted it. Now it's no where to be found in my control panel uninstall, nor is it showing up in any location. There may be something hidden that I haven't gotten, though. Security scans haven't found anything, and my chrome(browser) settings haven't been changed since I deleted it. 

#4 sikeaux

sikeaux

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

I did the same thing last night. I'm not sure, but I might've gotten it. I used WinDirStat, found the file location and deleted it. Now it's no where to be found in my control panel uninstall, nor is it showing up in any location. There may be something hidden that I haven't gotten, though. Security scans haven't found anything, and my chrome(browser) settings haven't been changed since I deleted it. 

Checking again, i think it worked. WinDirStat bypassed the whole "You've also installed these when you installed this." popup screen and got rid of it. Marvelous program, I recommend it. It's supposed to work as a way to clean up harddrive space, but it displays all the files. To which I went into program files to see if I could find it, and tada, there it was.

#5 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

I've been recommended to use this to locate and delete a tricky virus I may have got, but I'm not sure what to do with it, since it isn't an actual virus remover. Is anyone familiar with this tool and willing to talk me through it?

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2014 - 10:01 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

#6 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Checking again, i think it worked. WinDirStat bypassed the whole "You've also installed these when you installed this." popup screen and got rid of it. Marvelous program, I recommend it. It's supposed to work as a way to clean up harddrive space, but it displays all the files. To which I went into program files to see if I could find it, and tada, there it was.

Sounds good, I'll try that. Would you be willing to talk me through WinDerStat please? I haven't used it before and since it's not an actual virus remover I'm not too confident. 

#7 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

I've downloaded it and it's going through my files. I think it's just finished, but I've no idea what to do next! It's not instructing me. 

#8 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

Really lost with this, I went through the extensive list of items that came up on WinDerStat and didn't see the download-4-free one. It's definitely still there though, it's on the list of programmes in my uninstall programme. I deleted from my start section and programme menu though, just so I don't click on it by accident.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

A basic part of life...is using the right tool for the job.  WinDirStat is not a tool for removing or dealing with malware...any suggestion to use such for a malware situation is NOT a very good suggestion.

I am moving your topic to the right forum for determining if there is malware on your system...and the steps you should take to obtain removal of such (if it is indeed malware).

Louis

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Please do the following.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  After clicking on the link the download will start automatically.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  If this is the first time you have run this version of Malwarbytes you will see an image like the one below.

mbam1_zps95cc812c.png

Click on Update Now, after Malwarebytes is updated click on Scan.

If this isn't the first time you have run this version, then you will see an image like the one below.  Click on Scan

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

You will be prompted to update Malwarebytes, to do so click on Update Now.

mbam2_zps85f38f0c.png

3)  The scan will automatically run now.

mbamreplace_zps3ead4824.png

4)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Quarantine All, then click on Apply Actions

mbam4_zps23e52ad4.png

5)  To complete any actions taken you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes

mbam4_zps490948cc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Arachi, I already ran the ADW cleaner and Malwarebytes, I'll try the ESET. Though I will admit, if all the others failed I'm not overly hopeful of another one succeeding, I suspect this needs a more direct action from me but I'm not sure what. This isn't the thread I put up about the possible virus, that one can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537095/accidentally-installed-download4-free-bundle-cant-uninstall/ 

I go into more detail about the problem, I would appreciate your opinion on it!

#12 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Ok, used ESET and it's come up with some files of the win32/conduit.searchprotect variety which makes sense as apparently these are the sort of hijacker virus the download bundle is. However 3 of these are located in areas of dell datasafe back up or users/appdata/local/microsoft/windows. I am hesitant to delete this as it seems likely they are necessary parts of my computer, and online it says that ESET can be inclined towards false positives with Dell computers. BUT all the other files which seem safe to delete were already quarantined by malwarebytes, which is making me think they aren't the ones causing problems as they are presumably already inactive. 

Thoughts?

#13 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

Just went to close it and it didn't let me delete even the safe-to-delete quarintined items. I had unchecked the delete-threats-immediately box knowing about the false positives issue, surprised it doesn't let you then delete the items it detects. What's the point if you can't select ones to get rid of? Has anyone ever just run it on a dell with the immediate disabling, is there a chance I will delete essential features?

#14 monday_mornings

monday_mornings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Resolved! (I hope!) Ran CCleaner but it wouldn't uninstall it, so ran RevoUninstaller. The popup telling me I have to uninstall all the other programmes did come up, but for the first time I was able to click off it without selecting any other programme to uninstall, and continue uninstalling the bundle. I was nervous about doing it because I wasn't sure it wouldn't delete the others anyway, but I took a gamble and absolutely nothing seems to have changed except that programme is now finally gone. It was stubborn as heck though, I would stay far away from anything related to download4free. It might never have even been a virus, most things say the hijackers are more annoying than harmful, but I just hate the idea that someone or something else has some control over my laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users