Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Intro to IT Resource?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ITNoobie

ITNoobie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

I was recently given an opportunity in my company to manage an IT department that interacts significantly with our front of house users (Hospitality Field) across all of our properties.

The opportunity was given to me mainly for my success as an operations leader and experience introducing new technology into otherwise old school processes in hotels.

Having been in the role a month or so now, I am quickly realizing how little I know about basic IT architecture and simply how things work. 

I am able to accomplish the managing of the department so far, and my team is accepting and aware of my total lack of an IT background.

However, while I am picking up things as I go, i would definitely benefit from some self-learning time about the world of IT.

Basic "IT for Dummies" stuff like how servers, interfaces, and firewalls work...and what they really are.

I'm a visual learner, so would prefer some kind of video tutorial series, but I am open to all options.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hey,

Feel free to ask questions here on Bleepingcomputer, we have users that will be happy to help you with any problems you come across.

Our company uses a software/community for our network called Spiceworks. 

I'd check that out. Just sign up (it's free!) and then you can ask the community questions. The likely hood is that your question would have been asked before.

Here is the link

Enjoy!

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

I haven't used these, but I listen to the Security Now! podcast that they ared based upon.  I only mention them due to your visual preference.

Security Now! Illustrated

Edited by Kilroy, 09 June 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#4 jabail325

jabail325

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal also offer mant videos on the various topics you listed. Another usefull resource is http://www.professormesser.com/ .. Hope this is helpfull...

#5 ITNoobie

ITNoobie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Thank you everyone for your input.

I will start diving in to some of the links provided and hopefully start ramping up my terminology and general understanding of this very interesting new world I have entered!

#6 morris88

morris88

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

I would also like to recommend you take a look at prof Messer as he is a brilliant guy who does a lot of good work.

Also if you search on you tube for "Eli the Computer Guy" he explained a lot of IT systems and technologies in a good detail.

Have fun!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users