Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Clean Up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DOXYDAD1

DOXYDAD1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:24 PM

need to safely remove ShowWnd.exe from my start up and computer. Can you guide me? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

If you have Spybot S&D installed launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups and untick the entry for ShowWnd.exe.

However, this is only a registry entry and we need to remove this file because it is classified as an unidentified backdoor TROJAN.

If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5 in "SAFE MODE".
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

If Ewido did not find and delete this file, while still in safe mode, press Ctrl+Alt+Del, select Taskmanager > Processes, and look for the ShowWnd.exe. If listed, highlight it and click "End Process". (If not listed, please continue with the next step).

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to or use Windows Search feature to locate ShowWnd.exe.
Go to Start -> Search -> All files and folders -> More advanced options

Checkmark these options:
- "Search system folders"
- "Search hidden files and folders"
- "Search subfolders"

-> Search for ShowWnd.exe. When found right-click the file choose delete. Its probably in the C:\Windows\system32 folder.

Reboot in normal mode and let me know if that solved your problem.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users