Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning Linux from scratch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Casanova_X

Casanova_X

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Hi everyone

I made a similiar post about this in the Windows forums.  I would like to have a deeper understanding of operating systems and all the components and processes that make them work.  I have seen videos of Gentoo linux builds from scratch.  However, I don't want to just follow a guide that would train me on the steps of building an OS.  I would like to know what all of those components actually do?  I want to know why and how it works on a foundamental level.

My question is.  Can anyone point me to some really good books or videos that will help me understand this.  I imagine this will be easier with linux than windows.  Because you really can't build windows from scratch.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

See post 18 by Al1000 its a good start.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535609/making-permanent-switch-to-linux/page-2

Also Learn Windows or Linux first pick 1 and go for it, Trying to learn both is not going to work.

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Hello there Casanova_X and welcome to Bleeping Computer.  :welcome:

Not entirely if sure this is what you're looking for but if you audit the course, it's free and starts August 1st.

Best of luck to you, Linux has been a challenge for me but it's been fun.

I'll always be a dual-booter due to my workplace never giving up the Windows side of things, but Linux is great and been a real-eye opener as to what an Open Source OS can do.

Please note that I am not a Windows-hater, I just happen to like Linux (esp. Mint) a bit more than Windows.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 globalinternethostin

globalinternethostin

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

in the last year there are a lot of good linux tutorials about. and! it all depends on what you are using the system for? internet server? networkd server? network workstation? internet cruiser? LINUS is the best of everything.

since you are beginning, and you are doing this yourself, if you are going to build a server system of any kind, load it up with centos and keep it off line until you know the ropes! for client systems, obviously for a workstation you will want a server connect.

for std home use and internet, go to a bookstore that LINUX BOOKS WITH AN INCLUDED CD. This is the best way to provide you with the scope of everything. LINUX IS VERY USER HANDY. Everything is a "file" and there is no nonsense with registration database or other screwy "wandering code" pieces scattered everywhere!

With LINUX you have 100% complete control of everything going on. And there are suffiecient tools to inspect, test, monitor, etc to fine tune. IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY HARDWARE, MAKE SURE THE MANU HAS A LINUX DRIVER FOR IT.

NOTE! LINUX does not need the horsepower that moosoot needs. Less ram, less processor, no problem.
printer? hm. ask the vendor.

Also look for a support group or class in your area.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:59 AM

printer? hm. ask the vendor.

When Installing Linux plug in the printer and do the update during install and the printer will be detected and set up. Also works with off line install ( 98%)

Edited by NickAu1, 10 June 2014 - 01:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users