Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing user name?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Dell Inspiron 15R, Windows 8, i7 processor, etc. etc.

I seem to have made a typo the very first time I used this computer, back in October.  In File Explorer, under Windows (C:) is a folder called "Users".  In that folder are two subfolders, one called "Public" and the other called "Jphn" - because I apparently hit the "p" instead of the "o" and because of bad lighting or eye fatigue did not notice it in time.

So of course any time any piece of software has to identify or record the user, it records "Jphn".  Question arising: is there any way to change that, or is it graven in stone for the life of this computer?  My name is really "John" and not "Jphn" <G>.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

I don't think that's the correct way to change your account name.  To change your account name:

1. Press the Windows key and X together or point to the bottom left corner of the screen and right-click.
  2. In the menu that comes up click on Control Panel.
  3. In the Control Panel, navigate to User Accounts and Family Safety-->User Accounts.
  4. Click on Change your account name.
  5. You will have to provide Administrator permission if you are not logged on as one.
  6. Enter the name you want on the next screen and click the Change name box.

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

Under User Accounts I find "John - Local Administrator". No change needed there.

Under "Advanced Profile Setttings" I find one "Public" and one "John's Laptop/Jphn"

Can't figure out how to change that?

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Under "Advanced Profile Setttings" I find one "Public" and one "John's Laptop/Jphn"

I don't understand. Could you post some screenshots of how you get to this screen?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Agouti, on 08 Jun 2014 - 7:35 PM, said:

I don't think that's the correct way to change your account name.  To change your account name:

1. Press the Windows key and X together or point to the bottom left corner of the screen and right-click.
  2. In the menu that comes up click on Control Panel.
  3. In the Control Panel, navigate to User Accounts and Family Safety-->User Accounts.
  4. Click on Change your account name.
  5. You will have to provide Administrator permission if you are not logged on as one.
  6. Enter the name you want on the next screen and click the Change name box.

That would not change it from Jphn to John. At least it never did with XP and Windows 7. All that does is change the name seen on the Welcome Screen.

It did not change the file name you see under Users.

It may be different in Windows 8 but I am doubtful it would be.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 June 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

That would not change it from Jphn to John. At least it never did with XP and Windows 7. All that does is change the name seen on the Welcome Screen.

It did not change the file name you see under Users.

Now that I think about it I believe you are right. Then it means saluqi will have to:

1. Create a new account with the correct name.
  2. Transfer all his personal files to the new account.
  3. Re-install any software that is account-specific.
  4. Then delete the account with the incorrect name.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Again, this is what I see in Windows 7.

Try this. Go to Users, RIGHT click on the Jphn folder.

Click PROPERTIES/General tab or RENAME.

You *might* be able to change the name you see.

I say *might* because in Win7 the Apply button is grayed out when using Properties.

Using either of them tells me the name cannot be changed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. (It's actually not open in another program)

If you go the create another user account route and want to keep the name John you will have to rename the current John to something else first.

One thing about deleting an account is that you will also have to transfer your favorites if using IE (I have no clue how to save bookmarks using a different browser) and you will need to back up your email and address book if you use an email client in order to transfer it all to a new account.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 June 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

"In File Explorer, under Windows (C:) is a folder called "Users".  In that folder are two subfolders, one called "Public" and the other called "Jphn" That is known as your user profile folder

In order to change that it isn't as simple as changing the name

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40101-how-change-account-user-name-windows-8-a.html

But (and this is a big but), what isn't covered is what to do afterward when making such a change from what I could tell and I have a problem with that

#9 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

"In File Explorer, under Windows (C:) is a folder called "Users".  In that folder are two subfolders, one called "Public" and the other called "Jphn" That is known as your user profile folder

In order to change that it isn't as simple as changing the name

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40101-how-change-account-user-name-windows-8-a.html

But (and this is a big but), what isn't covered is what to do afterward when making such a change from what I could tell and I have a problem with that

That's about what I think.  My "Account name" in "Family Safety etc." is already correct.  It is the label of the "profile" that is incorrect.

Rack it up to rampant egotism, or whatever, but that sort of stuff bothers me (the hell out of ...).  I like to have things all correct and straightforward (like the Hobbits in the Shire <G>).  A natural born pedant (as my father, a most distinguished academic, noticed by the time I was 3 or thereabouts).  In my childhood I was known as "Ja, but ..."

Think I have to explore the use of "profiles".  One of the options there, if I remember aright, is where to use a;profile.  What about creating a new profile, and applying that everywhere, and then deleting the other?

Jeez, I hate typos.  Got through my elementary school career with ONE spelling error ... a source of shame ever since <G>.  In sixth grade, I forgot the bottom loop on a cursive "f" and so wrote "beautilul" instead of "beautiful".  It haunts me to this day (well, not really, but it's good for a joke <G>).

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

It's good to have a sense of humor; sometimes technicalities can drive us crazy

On "where to use a profile" I think the question is How is the profile used?

Go into your user profile folder, open it and right-click on documents and left click on properties

Select the sharing tab and you will see the network path which will include your Jphn that you mentioned

That's not the only location where to find it but the idea is your network path & Jphn are tied in together

I don't have the experience of creating a new "profile" but you can experiment on what can do but do not delete the present one without being sure your new "profile" has everything that you need in there 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users