Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mysearchdial invades IE.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thewitchking

Thewitchking

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

My son has a Toshiba Satellite laptop which becam infected with virus/malware which seemed to stem from Internet Explorer corruption. I got no help from Toshiba support, System Restore did not resolve so I restored system to Factory Condition. This got rid of all the garbage previously present but when I opened IE, there was the instigator, "mysearchdial" waiting for me. I unpinned it from taskbar/desktop and  have Google as my option now. Any suggestions on how to dispose of  the  continued pest within IE or if I simply avoid using it, is computer safe. Whew!!  Suggestions welcome.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/start-mysearchdial-removal/

Best of luck.

#3 Thewitchking

Thewitchking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Wow. Thanks so much. I followed the instructions given and IE now seems to be rid of Mysearchdial. I also found a program named Pokki and uninstalled it as the instructions suggested that anything I did not recognise should go. Time will tell, I suppose, but I have installed Google for my son to use, updated virus protection and given "no unsupervised downloads" to my 12 year old. With Thanks!!!

Edited by Thewitchking, 08 June 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Pokki is suppose to be a Start Menu program, to "brings back" Windows 7 start menu, or their version of it.  Levono now installs it by default, I don't know about other PC manufacturers.  So, depending on your computer, there's a chance that it came with Pokki.  I prefer Stardock's Start 8 -- about $5.  But, although all my children are grown adults, I do think that all children (less than 18), shouldn't have unsupervised Internet access, or to that matter unsupervised computer usage.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 08 June 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#5 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

I had that problem on my Toshiba Satellite C655D! I hated it to no end! Good luck!

Thanks,

Daniel

#6 Thewitchking

Thewitchking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

Again, thanks Scotty. I removed the Pokki because it was not listed in the original programs within the system. It populated today 6/8 after computer was returned to factory condition. Internet has info regarding "Pokki virus", so I reacted. The main concern however was the lingering "mysearchdial" component within IE. That seems to have gone after following along with the supplied instructions. The initial influx of unwanted material came as my son sat in his armchair beside me, and downloaded some kid's game from a presumed Pokemon site. He doesn't have carte blanche when using his computer and I didn't think the aforementioned site was a danger.  My error. Hotshot, if you still have the problem, use Scotty's link. Looks like a solution.

#7 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:44 AM

Thanks! I actually solved the problem a while back before looking at this forum using Hitman Pro. I would've suggested that but Scotty had already posted a working solution. Thank you again, though! :)

Thanks,

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users