Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file transfer x-ternal HDD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

HI,I think i am in the process of transferring data that is on internal HDD TO a x-ternal HDD,BUT i lost image of the transfer being done and the amount of GB'S being transfered into or out of each HDD is this normally how it is done,what happened to the image of the transfer,thanks

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 June 2014 - 04:08 PM.
Moved to External Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

How are you transferring the files?

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

HI,bludshot,Well i have tried copy&paste,used send to (i.e. from c:drive to I:drive )and the amount on c:drive will not change and the amount on I:drive will not increase

What i am trying to do is remove 138GB of data or as much as i can to my external MY PASSPORT HDD as i have new SEAGATE HYBRID HDD that i would like to partition and put all of whats on old HDD that has WINXP OS on it,i have had trouble with this WD external drive and i think that is part of my problem.

I may be wrong but i thought that if i transfered all of whats old HDD less OS i should see about 115GB of data on WD external HDD and almost zero on old HDD or just the WINXP OS.

Do you have any suggestions on why i do not get the results i am looking or is my thinking wrong,thanks.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

Both of these should work, but they don't remove the files from C:.  COPY means REPLICATE.  And I hasten to add that it's what you want because CUT and paste does erase from the C: drive.  If something goes wrong during the move, you've lost your original copy.  What messages are you getting when you do the copy & paste?  It should show a popup saying something like "Copying from C: to I:" with a red progress bar below it.  When the copy is complete, that popup should go away, and you should see the copy on your I: drive.  You must be seeing something else, so please let us know what that something else is.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

HI,wpgwpg,Here is whats happening when i try to transfer all data that can to the WD EXTERNAL HDD.

When i start the transfer i get a popup that says the following.

preparing to copy and this goes on for a few minutes.

Then it starts with a popup that asks if i want to replace duplicate files.

I fogot about the difference in copy&cut but used copy,what happened i had not transferring data so i have two copies of my c:drive on PC.

Then it gives me the option replace files and i click no until i get to the end of them.

Then when i get to duplicate options i get the following message.

(ERROR COPING FILE OR FOLDER) inside of popup is the following ( can not copy pagefile as it is being used by another person or program ).

Then below that it says close any programs that might be using it and try again i then click the "ok" button and that takes back to my computer page.

And when i have tried to transfer data to WD external HDD the only thing that is running is my homepage could i have been hacked and not know it and thats where the pagefile is coming from sorry about long post but it is the only way i explain whats happening,thanks

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

You don't need to copy your page file, it's a work file and it's in constant use by Windows.  Same for other files in use by Windows and your apps.  It won't do you any good to copy your Windows or Program Files folders either.  If you just want to back up your system, you should get hold of a good 3rd party program for that.  I use Easeus Todo Backup Free which is free for home use, but there're plenty of others as well.

CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at 

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

HI,wpgwpg, Well i kinda cheated and used my 8GB SANDISK THUMB DRIVE and copied to what it appears to be about 67GB of data to my WD external HDD.

This learning curve on how to transfer data is taking toll on my last two brain cells.

OK  heres an easy one for you,i want to put what i have on my WD external HDD on my SEAGATE HYBRID HDD now i have not gone into it as much as i should but i believe this WIN 7 OS has a partition program in it, have you done a procedure on how to partition a HDD and download from a EXTERNAL HDD to a second or 3rd partition as this SEAGATE IS A 1TB HDD,THANK YOU

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

I'm reminded of the old expression "the more you explain it, the more I don't understand it".  :whistle: However I can definitely tell you that Windows 7 has a built-in program for dealing with disk partitions.  Click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Disk Management.  This will give you a map of all the drives attached to your system, showing the partitions on each.  If you right-click on one of the partitions, you'll get a menu of things you can do.  Be careful!!  You don't to make an important partition inaccessible.  There are limits to what you can do here, but there're other 3rd party partitioning tools you can get.  Easeus makes the one I use (Partition Manager Pro), but again I caution you to be absolutely sure you know what you're doing, and make backup copies of anything you don't want to lose before you start playing around with partitioning.  

Good luck.

#9 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

There's no reason to copy windows system files to your 2nd hard drive.

The reason why you keep seeing 'replace duplicate files', is because you already copied those files.

You cannot simply copy windows from C drive to another drive, and then have that drive work the same; windows will not work on the new drive if you get rid of the old one.

If you want to back up your data files, you should browse to where they actually are on your drive, and only copy the actual data files you want to save. Don't just copy the entire C drive, there's no good reason to do that, and it will fail trying to copy a bunch of windows system files.

You cannot make more space on C drive by deleting software program files or windows system files. Doing so will break that software and break windows. To remove software you must properly uninstall it. To make space you have to find your own user files: documents, music, movies, and then delete the large ones (after backing them up if that's what you want). Also you can uninstall large games.

You are on the verge of breaking your computer, if you start deleting random files your next post will be about how your computer doesn't work anymore lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users