Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 64-bit Device Manager Blank

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 warmmonkey

warmmonkey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Here's the story:

Trying to help my aunt with her desktop computer. Her video display reverted to 800 x 600 but didn't know why so she called me. I tried to make a resolution change but nothing worked so I brought it home to look into it for her. After setting it up and running I noticed that it wasn't connecting to the internet (via LAN or WiFi connection) so I checked Device Manager to see if there were any errors with the driver only to discover that Device Manager was completely blank.

I've hit the Microsoft forums and tried each of the fixes that can be found in them and am still sitting with a blank Device Manager.  Any suggestions or if someone knows the cause/fix would be greatly appreciated.

Hre's the computer specs:

HP Pavillion p7-1210
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP 1
Dual-Core A6-3620 processor

6GB RAM
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
AMD Radeon HD 6530D graphics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Run your AV scans and see what they show.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

In addition to your antivirus, you could run Malwarebytes.  You could also run SFC.  To do that click Start and type CMD in the search box, then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.  From the command prompt type sfc /scannow.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

This behavior occurs if the Plug and Play service is turned off (disabled).

1.  Click Start.
2.  Click Run
3.  Enter the command (no quotes): "services.msc"
4.  Click OK.
5.  Double-click Plug and Play.
6.  If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK.
7.  In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK.
8.  Close Services.
9.  Restart the computer.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 08 June 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#5 warmmonkey

warmmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Thank you to each of you. I should be more specific on what I have thrown at this machine...

I have ran scans for virus/malware and system file checker. I also tried doing the scans in safe mode and then as the hidden administrator account to ensure I had full control. Nothing positive as far as viruses/malware and file checks came back without error. I've also tried using the windows fixer too. Through all of this, the Plug & Play has consistently showed "Automatic". One additional thing I did prior to posting this was running ComboFix (didn't change anything) but to be honest, the log is useless to me as a layperson.

One thing your posts has made me think of was pulling the hard drive and running a scan using my computer USB cable converter as though it were an external hard drive. Any concerns come to mind or anything I should be cautious of before running the scan this way?

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Personally I have always been hesitant to hook drives from another machine to any of mine you just never know for sure!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

Have you checked Device Manager to see if there's a problem with the display adapter drivers?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 warmmonkey

warmmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Personally I have always been hesitant to hook drives from another machine to any of mine you just never know for sure!

I've done it once before to retrieve files for a friend after they had BSODed on an older machine and decided to just buy a new computer. Nothing adverse took place on my end but no idea as the hard drive was destroyed once we got what she wanted off it.

Have you checked Device Manager to see if there's a problem with the display adapter drivers?

Not sure what you mean as Device Manager doesn't show a single item when you open it. Do you know of a workaround and CMD access that can be used to check?

#9 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I completely agree with you.  I don't let any "foreign" drives connect to our computers, or foreign computers connect to our home network (see below).

I maintain all the computers in our home, and they have the same level of security, very tight.  My wife will not download any files until I check them out first, and give them my OKEY DOKEY.  If there is any doubt, however little, they aren't downloaded, let alone installed.

Our physical security has additional steps taken, when we have visitors:

1.  The visitors can't use the wifi.
2.  The wifi password is changed, multiple times while they're here.
3.  They're only allowed to use a cable connection, and the ROUTER/MODEM is in my computer room, and they must use the cable I provide, none, if any that they bring.
4.  They're not allowed any large downloads on our Internet connection.
5.  They're not allowed ON OUR HOME NETWORK, if any of our computers are turned on.  The visitor is given a "60 second warning" when the cable will be disconnected.

I should be noted, that we live in a rural area, and none of our neighbors have Internet access, in fact none have computers, so our visitors can't leech off them.  So, it's follow our rules, or no Internet access while they're here.

#10 warmmonkey

warmmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

Update:  Couldn't resolve the issue with system at its current state. Finally reformatted the hard drive. My aunt is now happily surfing iTunes and Facebook once more. Thank you to each of the mice who posted suggestions. All suggestions were much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users