Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox opens multiple windows/tabs after malware removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hello,

I recently removed 2 instances of recurring malware ( I removed it and the following day it was back again, removed it again and it came back again) and an instance of recurring spyware off of my Windows 7 pro 64 bit PC with Spybot before removing an additional  piece of malware with Norton Internet Security. I ran a full scan with McCafee before this but it didn't detect anything (Mcafee did find something with its real time protection everytime I tried to remove and resinstall Firefox) that Spybot hadnt found already, so I decided to run some free scans from other antivirus platforms from the internet. Norton found some things so I switched over to Norton. I also ran Microsoft Safety Scanner and Norton Power Eraser neither of which found anything.

I am continuing to get popups and when i click on links in Firefox I continue to get multiple windows and tabs opening. I am running the most current version of Firefox from the Mozilla website. This makes me think that I might still be infected.

I'm sorry I did not record the names of the malware that were giving me problems. If they come up again I will post them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Get the free version of Malwarebytes, get it up to date, then boot to Safe Mode and do a full system scan with it and your antivirus.  This could run for a couple of hours.

As for the multiple tabs, just get the ones you want, then press ALT-t and click Options -> Use current pages.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 08 June 2014 - 01:05 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Carcosa

Carcosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

Didn't find any malware, but I don't have the pop ups problem with Chrome, could Firefox be permanently broken? Even though I delete the Mozilla folder from programs after uninstalling and then reinstalling and still having the problem? Is Firefox somehow broken now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users