Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

I've had this problem for quite a while now, and it's starting to drive me crazy!

My bluetooth devices can't connect to my laptop because it appears as though they can't find it at all. The device (bluetooth speakers) was already added and used to work with my laptop and it still works with my phone or other computers without any trouble, but my laptop's bluetooth just isn't working. I can't delete it from my added devices to try and re-add it. 

Worst of all: I can't open Bluetooth settings at all! Not using Control Panel, not using the bluetooth icon, not using search, just not at all. I click it and nothing happens. 

So, I've tried to look it up in Services.msc to see if it might be disabled, but it says it should be running. In msconfig, it says the Bluetooth service is stopped, however. 

Either way, I'd love to use my bluetooth devices with my laptop again, so if anyone knows how to fix this, that would be awesome!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Go back to Services and right click on the Bluetooth support service and double click on it.

When the Bluetooth support service properties open look to see what the startup type is, then click on Start in the the Service status.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

Perfect! I think it's working now! Had to change some settings in the Log On tab to make the start button work, but I can finally access settings! Thanks (: 

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

I see you're running Windows 8.  When I moved my bluetooth adapter from my Windows 7 PC to my 8.1 system, I had to go download the latest drivers and software to make it work.  The Device Manager said it was operating normally before I did that, but it wouldn't work.  After downloading the right updates, everything works just fine.  I have an Inland bluetooth adapter I bought from Micro Center for $15 a couple of years ago, and the software on the CD that came with it just didn't work right with Windows 8.  YMMV.,

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to connect with the speakers! I have already downloaded and installed the most recent version of the drivers (using the ASUS site and I figured my laptop came with Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth suite, so I simply downloaded the latest version of that) and I have removed and re-added them, it says 'Connected' for about two seconds, then it returns saying to 'Not Connected'. I have changed the settings to 'allow devices to find this pc', and I can add/remove it now - but it still refuses to actually connect? Oh, how I wish I had Windows 7 XD

Any tips on how to actually connect?

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

Bluetooth USB adapters aren't expensive.  You could try one of them.  Unfortunately this kind of aggravation accompanies Windows upgrades all too often.  :-(

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

A dongle might be worth it for all the aggravation this is causing you.

Newegg has wifi adapters from about $8.00 and up.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

It's really frustrating how faulty Windows can be! I suppose I could try that, though I'm worried that it might not work and then I've spent money on it for no use. I just read through a few posts on a microsoft forum and it seems that a dongle hasn't worked for quite a few others. I guess I'm just stuck with my laptop's sound...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users