Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Equivalent to Carbon Copy Cloner?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 QuestionGuy

QuestionGuy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:28 AM

Hey guys/gals.

What is the closest Windows program to Carbon Copy Cloner? http://www.bombich.com/

It is used to create scheduled bootable backups of your Windows hard-drive.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

Windows 8 has the ability to backup files on a schedule and create an entire image of your hdd. As the

link below states, for some reason known only to Microsoft, it is 'hidden'. But it is actually the same backup

features offered in Windows 7....a smaller version of Acronis.

Using Windows 8′s “hidden” backup to clone and recover your whole PC | Ars Technica

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Easeus has a line of software that may fill your bill.  I've been using Easeus Todo Backup Free for about 1.5 years and think it's great.  They have several other disk related programs as well.  www.easeus.com.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Macrium Reflect is another which can be scheduled to make backups.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

Easeus Todo Backup Free is the only one I know of that can make the backups themselves bootable.

#6 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Easeus Todo Backup Free is the only one I know of that can make the backups themselves bootable.

Macrium Free and Acronis can make bootable back-ups

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Macrium Free and Acronis can make bootable back-ups

Really? They can make the backup image itself bootable? Thank you, I'm subject to correction.

#8 QuestionGuy

QuestionGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last question on this subject. I am moving from an Intel based computer to an AMD based computer, so naturally I don't want the drivers for the intel based parts getting included in the backup. Does anyone have any experience with what exactly gets backed up?

Programs, Settings, Path configuration (for dev purposes) is all I really wish to backup and be able to restore. 

Cheers!

Edited by QuestionGuy, 09 June 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

A clone is an exact copy.  So what ever is on there when you clone the drive will be copied.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 QuestionGuy

QuestionGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

A clone is an exact copy.  So what ever is on there when you clone the drive will be copied.

Yeah sorry, I know that. I should have been more specific. (I know my title states 'clone')

Do any of these tools allow only for specific things to be 'cloned' or backed up, vs an entire drive clone?

Worst comes to worst I could always uninstall the pesky drivers which I won't want.

Thanks

#11 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

If you're going to change motherboards and/or CPUs, you can't use a clone or any other kind of system backup for anything other than retrieving your data.  If you try booting from a disk that has an image of a system with an Intel CPU on a system with an AMD CPU, you'll get a BSOD.  You also have to worry about OEM systems because they can only be used on the system they're installed on.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#12 QuestionGuy

QuestionGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

If you're going to change motherboards and/or CPUs, you can't use a clone or any other kind of system backup for anything other than retrieving your data.  If you try booting from a disk that has an image of a system with an Intel CPU on a system with an AMD CPU, you'll get a BSOD.  You also have to worry about OEM systems because they can only be used on the system they're installed on.

Thanks for the info. I am changing computers. The current installation I have took a long time to set up, due to me being a developer and having tons of tools and frameworks installed. 

If I could circumvent having to re-install all of those again, it would be a huge time saver.

Edited by QuestionGuy, 09 June 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#13 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

There is a program called Zinstall that a neighbor of mine used to transfer his apps from an old computer to a new one.  I've never used it, so I can't speak from experience.  It costs $119 which is a tad expensive, so I don't know if it would be worth it to you.  He got his done at a Micro Center store where they did it for around $75 if I remember.  I know my neighbor said you have to be careful about malware because if you have it on the old computer, it'll transfer that to the new one too. 

Good luck.

#14 QuestionGuy

QuestionGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

There is a program called Zinstall that a neighbor of mine used to transfer his apps from an old computer to a new one.  I've never used it, so I can't speak from experience.  It costs $119 which is a tad expensive, so I don't know if it would be worth it to you.  He got his done at a Micro Center store where they did it for around $75 if I remember.  I know my neighbor said you have to be careful about malware because if you have it on the old computer, it'll transfer that to the new one too. 

Good luck.

Thanks, i'll check it out.

You are right about malware or other potential left overs making their way onto the new system.

Looks like a fresh install and a fresh install of my dev environment is the way to go. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for your help, I appreciate it.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

You should be able to scan the files with an antivirus before installing them on the computer.

The Zinstall program is used to clone the hdd.  From what I've read about it I don't see why one should spend $119.00 when you can download software which will clone your hdd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users