Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kernal_Data_Inpage_Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

I got a blue screen of death and it says something about Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error.

I was streaming videos over the internet, and let's just say I fell asleep.  (I paused the video before I fell asleep).  This means that for the duration of when I was asleep, Firefox was still open with a webpage to that video streaming site.  I woke up 3 hours later, and I saw that my laptop won't go out of that mode where the screen shuts off, you know, when the laptop is idle the screen shuts off, but at that time, I press keys, use the touchpad, nothing responds.  I waited and the blue screen pops up.

I want to know what is causing the blue screen.  This is not the first time I ever had a blue screen of death, but this is the first time that I believe I had this exact "Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error" blue screen.

Here is a published snapshot of Speccy.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/DJYopQ0Dsu2pDDZDKPykBRZ

I want to know what this portion of Speccy log means?

S.M.A.R.T
Warning
Temperature: 
49 °C
Temperature Range: 
OK (less than 50 °C)
01 Read Error Rate: 
119 (092) Data 000D05C052
03 Spin-Up Time: 
099 (099) Data 0000000000
04 Start/Stop Count: 
097 (097) Data 0000000C31
05 Reallocated Sectors Count: 
086 (086) Data 0000000124
07 Seek Error Rate: 
086 (060) Data 001A7A54FD
09 Power-On Hours (POH): 
077 (077) Data 000000506B
0A Spin Retry Count: 
100 (100) Data 0000000000
0C Device Power Cycle Count: 
097 (097) Data 0000000C2A
B8 End-to-End error / IOEDC: 
BB Reported Uncorrectable Errors: 
001 (001) Data 00000004C7
BC Command Timeout: 
100 (099) Data 000002000A
BD High Fly Writes (WDC): 
BE Temperature Difference from 100: 
050 (041) Data 0033320032
BF G-sense error rate: 
100 (100) Data 00000000B8
C0 Power-off Retract Count: 
100 (100) Data 0000000025
C1 Load/Unload Cycle Count: 
001 (001) Data 000008673F
C2 Temperature: 
050 (059) Data 0000000032
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered: 
054 (043) Data 000D05C052
C5 Current Pending Sector Count: 
100 (100) Data 000000008C
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count: 
100 (100) Data 000000008C
C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count: 
200 (200) Data 0000000000

Edited by signofzeta, 08 June 2014 - 06:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

The long and short is that your hdd may be in trouble.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

Burning a ISO file to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

In the 80096001 error thread a few months back, I mentioned how Seatools for Dos doesn't run.  If it didn't work then, I don't think it will work now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528254/windows-could-not-search-for-new-updates-error-code-80096001/page-4?hl=%2B80096001#entry3354061

When starting it for the first time after switching drive priority,

Starting BCDW... ok.

Error! Cannot load file (code: 10FDh):

\bcdw\bcdw.bin

Press any ket to boot from hard disk or ESCape to reboot...

Every subsequent try,

Starting BCDW... ok.

Error! Cannot load file (code: 100Bh):

\bcdw\bcdw.ini

Press any ket to boot from hard disk or ESCape to reboot...

I just want to know what Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error means, and if a dying hard drive could cause something like that.  I used CrystalDiskInfo, and it says I have 292 reallocated sectors, 140 current pending sector counts, and 140 uncorrectable sector counts.  The health status is either Good, Caution, Bad, or Unknown.  The health status for this laptop is Warning.

I pretty much use this computer for not so important work, like surfing the web, playing games that I don't care if my save file is lost etc.  Based on this info, I want to know if any other component other than the hard drive in my laptop will be damaged if I kept on using this computer until my hard drive officially dies.  The worst that could happen is that I have to boot up the recovery discs and reinstall everything.

I also want to know whether a hard drive will keep on function or not if the number of bad sectors never change, let's say I have 280 bad sectors, and it stays at 280, and the hard drive is currently functioning.  I want to know if my hard drive will die if the number of bad sectors don't change.  I also want to know if it is true that your hard drive will only die if it gets to a certain amount of bad sectors.

I also am making an assumption that the clicking noises that I hear from my hard drive is making bad sectors, so I don't want to run any program that makes these clicking noises on my hard drive, which would most likely lead to blue screens of death.  This includes ChkDsk, full virus scans, Seatools for windows.  Just by running Speccy and CrystalDiskInfo already is telling me that my HDD is dying.  I am unsure if my HDD is actually crippled or dying.

Edited by signofzeta, 08 June 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

I would suggest that you back up all of your important data to a form of removable data, like CDs, DVDs, external hdd, flash drive.

I would also suggest that you purchase a new hdd, the current one is exhibiting signs of failure.

The Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error is going to be a moot point, with the new hdd you will need to install Windows, this will resolve that issue.

Due to the problems found with the hdd I'm guessing the Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error is a 0x0000007A.

The following is from the Microsoft Community website.

The error code KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR STOP: 0x0000007A states that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. It appears that there are some issues with the hard disk.

Google is you friend. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

I am in a bind here.  I don't know if I should spend money on a new hard drive on a computer who's screen always flickers and headphone jack doesn't work, or if I should just retire the computer and move on to my newly purchased computer.  Ideally I would love to have 2 computers though, so I don't know.

I'm basically using this laptop the same way how some people drive very old cars that are unsafe, taped together, and falling apart, and will keep on using it until the hard drive actually dies, or until I decide to shell out some cash on a new HDD or a SSD.

Ideally I would like to have a SSD, but I don't know if there are SSD's out there that would fit inside the Asus F50sv model that I currently own.  The current hard drive I have is a Seagate HDD.  I am not a tech kind of person, so I don't know if there is a chance that I buy a SSD, and it doesn't fit and plug inside my laptop.

Have you heard of cloning hard drives?  I don't know if it is possible to clone whatever is on a failing hard drive onto the fresh hard drive.

A bad thing that I am afraid of is the whole clicking thing and the blue screen of death every time I run Chkdsk, Full virus scans, and Seatools for windows.  When I try to backup my data onto my seagate external hard drive, my laptop drive makes clicking noises as well, but fortunately it never blue screened.  I am afraid that if I try to clone the drive it might do the clicking thing and go blue screen.  I am afraid that if I try to clone the drive, it might create more bad sectors, that is, if the clicking noises does make more bad sectors, and thus killing the last of the life from the HDD I am trying to clone.

If it is impossible to clone my drive, it doesn't really matter to me if when I replace my HDD, that I run the computer just as if I newly bought it.  I have never recovered an OEM install of windows vista before though.  My laptop came with a recovery disc, so I don't know if that technically recovers the computer to the point of when I purchased it so many years ago.

Edited by signofzeta, 08 June 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

I have the computer I built six years ago sitting on the floor next to my desk.  It has been sitting there since last December when I built my new computer.  There is a part of me that wants to keep it, but it's just sitting there.  So I can relate with your situation.

There are 2.5 SSDs, you can check out some at Newegg.

Before you do anything else I would highly recommend that you back up all of your important data.  You can purchase an external case for your hdd from Newegg for about 

$8.00.  This will connect via a USB cable.  Before connecting it I would suggest going to Computer and make a note of the drive letters in use, this way you will know what drive letter you external hdd is.  You can then right click on the files or folders you wish to backup, choose the Send to option my moving the pointer over it, then click on the external drive to send the data there.

I would not trust the current hdd, it could go at any time.

#7 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 420 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:42 AM

I really hope my HDD could hold its own until windows 9 comes out.

Just asking, if the number of bad sectors stay the same, for me, it would be 292 bad sectors, will the hard drive die?  Does a hard drive die when it reaches a certain number of bad sectors?  I am monitoring the number of bad sectors, and so far, it has 292 bad sectors and it hasn't changed.  There is really nothing on that computer worth saving, and I don't really want to buy a hard drive only for me to delete Vista on it, and install something newer, when I could just wait and hope it doesn't die on me, so I could buy Windows 9 and install it.  Then again, the graphics card on it is dated, and I couldn't run any of the newer games, which makes me installing Windows 9 on it kind of useless, so I don't know.

In 3 years, Microsoft will stop supporting Vista, so, if I do buy a new HDD, it would be useful for 3 years anyway.  That laptop has other issues, like flickering screen, headphone jack not working, so I don't know if it is worth it to continue using it, although I am sort of attached to that computer.  I have a newer laptop, but I used my older one more than my newer laptop.  It's as if that laptop and I has done so many things together, and switching to a new laptop is like throwing away some memories, if you know what I mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users