Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

i have an unlimited/uncapped broadband connection with AOL in the UK,, who recently have also been our phone provider as well. We are generally happy enough with the service and usualy get good speeds (between 5 and 10 Mbps). This is using a maximum of 3 devices (we have 1 desktop 2 laptops and 2 tablets in the house but only a combination of 3 in use at anyone time).

One issue we do get is on occasion a phone call (usualy a 'junk' call) will disconnect the internet and the router requires rebooting to reconnect. This does not happen every time though. 

The big problem has been recently however. We started either being disconnected for periods of time or being reduced in signal strength, as a result we discovered of maintainance/upgrading in the area. The BT website explained this and gave a date for when the work would finish. This time came and went and we were still hving the same problems. Perhaps the work was still going on but there was no way to tell, the BT website showed nothing . Connection still intermittent; sometimes nothing, sometimes low speed and constant, sometimes irratic (according to speed tests run). Started to think it was no longer external (ie phoneline) but internal (router, PC or home connections). This was based on the fact that when work was known to be taking place service would be restored outside working hours (evenings and weekends), but now the problems were almost 24/7.

All set to complain to our ISP, we just happened to make an outgoing phone call for the first time for a few days. Following this call (local) the connection seemed to come back to near normal, registering speed of around 5 Mbps (compared to sub-1Mbps at best before).. I thought this very strange, 

Can someone with more knowlegde of these things than i, explain what might have been going on and why (if not a coincidence) would phone calls affect broadband internet connection, particularly the outgoing one that seemed to right things.

I am also wondering about my router. Its an older Netgear DG834G v2, which usualy works fine, but i am thinking maybe it might have contributed to recent problems and need replacing. How can i tell if its failing?

Look forward to replies. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users