Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many copies of C++ installed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ArcticPrince

ArcticPrince

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

I was kind of cleaning up some old programs and files when I noticed that I had 7 versions of Microsoft C++ installed.  I have Microsoft C++ 2005 x 2, C++ redistributable 2008 x 4, and Microsoft C++ 2010 installed.  Do I need all of these?  Any possible conflicts with so many different versions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

The short answer is that they're needed.  The longer story is:

Programs/DLLs can change between the runtime environments like of C++ 2005, 2008, etc.  Say you have DLL "A".  In 2005, DLL "A", might do "X", but in 2008, DLL "A" might to "Y".  It is also possible that parameter "A" in 2005 is a string, but in 2008 it is an integer.  All of this can affect how the programs that use the runtime environments will, or will not run.  A DLL can be replaced completely between runtime environments.  DLL "A" in 2005 may not be the same DLL "A" in 2008.  There's much more, but I think you'll get the idea.  This is why they're in different folders.

Have a good day.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 08 June 2014 - 06:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users