Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem swapping Pentium 4 chips in dell dimension towers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WonderWeasel

WonderWeasel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hello--

I have an old dell dimension 8200 tower that I was running tversity on to stream videos to my TV. It had a 1.8ghz Pentium 4 processor installed on a motherboard with serial# e210882. I recently got a dell dimension 3000 with a Pentium 4 2.8ghz (same motherboard, #210882). I attempted to swap the chips, so I could use the faster chip without having to move all my data over to a different computer, but now when the tower is turned on, the power light flashes orange, there is a clicking noise coming from (I think) inside the 3.5" floppy drive, and the power supply fan looks like it is attempting to spin, but won't. When I put the old chip back in, it did the same thing. The cpu was correctly installed (at least physically). I used the original heatsink, cleaned off the old thermal compound, and gave it a fresh application. And yes, I made sure to line up the gold arrows on the cpu and socket lol. Any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Have you tried re-setting the BIOS via the motherboard jumper?

If not, I'll explain more if I have you lost on what I am referring to.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 WonderWeasel

WonderWeasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

Lol I am lost... Please explain :)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

Okay, I want to look up your motherboard up first then I'll explain exactly where this jumper is located.

Hang in there.

Dell Dimension 8200 correct?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 June 2014 - 09:50 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 WonderWeasel

WonderWeasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, mrbruce! I'm in no rush :)

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

First a few links from Dell.

First link:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-8200_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

I will be adding a service manual to this topic, but let me research the above manual first.

Bruce.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

Okay I found it.

I tried to give you a direct link to the page I wanted you to look at but for PDF documents, it does not work that way.

Go to the link I posted above and a PDF document will open. You must have adobe installed for it to open.

Once you click that link, scroll down to

System Board Connectors and Sockets

You will see a map of your motherboard.

Now look for Configuration Jumper (CLR CM) in that image of your motherboard.

That jumper clears your CMOS back to factory default.

This procedure may correct your problem and your system will work again.

I am here to answer any questions you have.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 June 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#8 WonderWeasel

WonderWeasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

OK, I reset CMOS and attempted to power on, and it still won't. I'm wondering if maybe they're different versions of Pentium 4s, like one's a Prescott and one's a northwood or something? Or would they not have the same socket if that was the case? Thanks again, mrbruce!

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

Take a look at this web site, I have it set for Pentium 4 processors. (Just ignore the ads at the top and read the text)

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/index.html

If you look closely, you'll see that they included pictures of each processor type name and explain if they are compatible with one another.

After you look at those processors, tell which ones are possibly the ones you have.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 June 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#10 WonderWeasel

WonderWeasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Lol I guess I should have researched this a bit more closely; one is a Northwood, and one is a Prescott. Meh, I think I'll stick with the original configurations. Thanks for all your help, mrbruce!

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

That CPU world website is pretty handy for researching. That one page I linked you to is not all this web site has to offer about any CPU. Bookmark that page for future reference.

Bruce.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

Just so happens I had a similar upgrade a couple of years ago, only mine was a Dimension 2400 & shipped with the Celeron 2.4GHz CPU (Northwood). The max upgrade path possible is a Pentium 3.06 H/T (Northwood) Socket 478 CPU.  This is the exact item that I purchased to upgrade it to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320843500998?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Northwood & Prescott CPU's aren't compatible with one another, I wished they had been.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for all your help, mrbruce!

Thank you also for relying on Bleeping Computer for help and support, that is what we are here for. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

Though it would involve moving your data, the Dimension 3000 would be the better of the two to work with, as long as it's in running condition. First off, there's not much difference between that & the 2400 that I have. It holds 2GB RAM max & will accept the CPU that I linked above.

It's not a powerhouse, however it's more so than the older model & spare parts are plentiful & low cost.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users