Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Computer Crashing To Black While Playing Any Game

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Meiqjii

Meiqjii

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'm rather dumb when it comes to these sorts of things and I've looking stuff up but with no luck, either the thing I found didn't work or it just left me feeling confused having no clue what any of what was said means. I really want to fix this error as my girlfriend recently got steam and wants to play with me, but for no reason, my computer randomly started crashing after approximately 2-3 minutes of gameplay (note, if i sit in a menu it won't crash, it's only when I'm actually playing the game.) I am confused as it isn't malware as I originally thought (as i did get a virus but it was successfully removed along with everything it damaged being fixed... I think, I also reverted to factory default with no luck) When it crashes the screen cuts to black, all audio stops but the computer stays on, although entirely unresponsive. I don't what else to say besides that it started randomly and the first time it happened it wasn't just a black screen but a black screen with thin vertical red stripes all across it. Every time after that was just a black screen. I don't know what broke but it clearly did it there and not even a factory default will fix it. I am really hoping I don't need to buy anything as I have no money. :c Please help asap. Thanks ahead of time for even looking at this post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

Could be a coulple things. Video card is overheating/drivers or out of date. Secondly, the Power supply is failing during heavy loads (gaming), or the power supply is not dishing out enough power.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

As technonymous has suggested, one of the things this could be is overheating.  I use SpeedFan to check temperatures.  If your core temps get much over 50 degrees C, that could be your problem.  You could also go to Device Manager to check your drivers.  If they need updating, download them ONLY from the manufacturer.  Checking those two things won't cost you anything.  If your problem happens to be the power supply, that will cost you money.  You didn't say what make and model your computer is or how old it is.  If you have a heat problem, the first thing to do is to clean out the dust that builds up inside.  If your computer is over 3-4 years old, you might need to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and its cooling fan.  Thermal paste costs around $10.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

Anything new downloaded recently? Does your computer match min requirements for the game?  New Ram? The last time you air blew your pc out?

There are plent of things that can cause this issue, so its really just making a list and working your way down. 

#5 Meiqjii

Meiqjii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Apologies for the late reply, as to what computer I am using, it is a "hp dv7-3067nr entertainment notebook" apparently. It may very well be due to overheating but I have tried everything I can think of to keep it cool besides setting it on top of one of those gel based ice packs. As for what vcolev said, nothing new downloaded that couldve caused it, a full factory defaulting did not fix the problem, my comp does meet min req, and no new ram. And as for air blowing, I've heard of that but never done it. Also I just tried to open it up to look and see if the insides are dusty but I can't get the damn thing open even with all the screws out and I don't want to use brute force as I don't want the only laptop I'm gonna have for a few years broken. Also, it only crashes when in full screen I've noticed. If I play in windowed its fine. However only one game has proven an exception to this rule, if I play minecraft, specifically online, singleplayer and lan both work fine, but on a server it will crash 100% of the time.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Run Speedfan or Speccy and let's see what those temps are.  You don't have to take the covers off to do that.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 Meiqjii

Meiqjii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

I did look some stuff up and apparently the solution is so preposterous i would've never done it had i not read it online, unplug my charger. This type of laptop apparently has something wrong with it when it comes to its power source and causes it to go wonky when doing certain things. So all i have to do is never play games when my battery is at 85% or more and on the charger. But I did check the temps anyways and yeah:

HD0: 42C

Temp1: 61C

Core: 59C

when not gaming, when gaming core can get to 70+ so I should probably invest in a cooling fan pad thing like my best friend has. Thank you for your time and help guys c:

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

Older laptops the video card is usually integrated on the mainboard. Both the cpu and video card share a heatsink, a coppe tubing between the two. Back in the day it was the best they could do. Heat draws off the video card then gets transfered through that tube to the cpu side then gets blown off with a small fan. A litle dust in there and next thing you know you got a overheating laptop that was generally hot to begin with.

With newer laptops the video card is integrated in the cpu chip in a small package. They can cool the laptop with better designs. Air can be drawn in from the side of the laptop by the fan and exit out the back. So air can flow over the aluminum fins that cools the copper tube or heatsink. Thermal conduction characteristics of copper is that it draws heat quickly, but it cannot dissipate the heat quickly. This is why aluminum fins are also used. Aluminum dissipates heat quickly and draws heat slower. Especially if you blow cool air through the fins of the aluminum. The downside is that dust that collects on the fins and fan causing less air to flow naturally raisng the temps. It's a delima everyone has to deal with. Routine maintenance wousld be every 2-3 months blast the ports/fans out with a can of air. Sometimes it's so bad you have to scrub with a small tooth brush or something. Just like a house fan clean it and wash the blade and screen the fan will blast air twice as hard like new again. Same concept.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users