Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows auto updated and now I cannot exit temporary user profile

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Haiduk4

Haiduk4

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

My computer has been to auto-update windows.  After an update two days ago I am given a bubble stating that I am signed in with a temporary user profile.  I am prompted to sign out, and sign back in with my user profile info.  Which, I did, but I am still being logged in with the temporary profile.  I'm trying not to panic,  but I cannot access any of my photos, documents or files. 

Every time Microsoft does one of the automatic updates I end up spending hours trying to get my PC back to where it's useful again.  Historically, I have gone to the Microsoft website and updated ALL the other updates, and that has resolved the issue; the issue is usually that I can no longer browse the internet. But this is very different; it would seem that my entire computer has been erased.  

Please help!

Darla

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Haiduk4

Haiduk4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

Please, is there anyone out there who understands about this recent windows 8 automatic update; why it has started my computer in a temporary user profile that I cannot exit from?

#3 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

I found this post on a MS support site.  Perhaps you'll find a solution in it:

I had the same issue - logging in to windows eventually with a temporary profile.

While logging into windows I also had the "your pc will restart in 2 days" message.

I shut the PC down and then powered it up again. Windows was still using the temporary profile after eventually logging - no joy

I then went to windows update and found a message saying "Windows needs to restart to finish installing updates" - with a restart now button (never mind that I had just previously done a full pc shutdown)

I clicked on the Restart now button.  Windows then said it was configuring 3 updates before restarting. The next time it booted into windows, it found my personal profile and everything was back to normal again.

It looks to me that windows is defaulting to a temporary profile when certain updates are not fully installed and configured, and a normal shutdown does not appear to trigger the configuration of these outstanding updates. Possibly one could do a manual restart instead of a shutdown to trigger the finalisation of the oustanding updates. I will check this next time the problem occurs.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Please, is there anyone out there who understands about this recent windows 8 automatic update; why it has started my computer in a temporary user profile that I cannot exit from?

I think Compnovo is on the right track, although conditions could be a little different from one case to another.  This can happen when something corrupts the user profile like possibly a power failure or system hang where you're forced to power off without a normal shutdown.  If by chance you've run some kind of registry cleaner, that can do this because these things remove entries that're not currently being used but're there for future use.  Then when updates come along expecting to use these entries, wham-o.

The best things you can do to protect against this kind of thing are (1) to have a full system backup to an external hard drive, and (2) have another admin level user ID.  Before attempting recovery, I recommend you back up any data you don't want to lose, if you haven't already.  If you have neither of these protections, you could try System Restore to a date prior to the occurence of the problem.  You could also try booting from a Repair disc and attempting a repair.  If you've used a registry cleaner, I strongly recommend that you restore to factory settings.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 11 June 2014 - 04:57 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users