Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Mouse lock up gaming

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 maniclurker

maniclurker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hey all!  New user, first post.  Please forgive me if there's a post about this before.  I did a search, and didn't turn up anything quite like mine.

Ok, so let's start with the system specs:

Self-built machine with

Z77 chipset mobo

Intel i7-2600k processor

Nvidia GTX 670 gpu

16 gb Corsair RAM

power supply exceeds the needs of the system

The symptoms:

While gaming, my keyboard and mouse will sometimes freeze temporarily or permanently.  This usually happens when I'm playing League of Legends, however, it has started doing it with other games.  If it's a temporary freeze, I'll notice a distinct framerate drop after it unfreezes, and it will recover.  If it's permanent, the keyboard and mouse will lock up, the lights on both will blink on and off, and I'll have to restart my computer to recover control.

Solutions I have tried:

Driver updates for anything and everything, from USB to GPU drivers

Anti-virus scans with free AVG

check power loads on rails to ensure proper power supply

About myself:

I built this machine myself.  I cannot say that I am the most computer proficient person out there, but I consider myself to be much more competent than many.  As such, I may have not checked something properly.

If anyone has any ideas, then I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.  Cheers!

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2014 - 03:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Welcome,

Have you run any other scans - like Malware bytes Antimalware or Super AntiSpyWare?

Keyboard and mouse wired or wireless? If wireless are batteries fresh?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

How long ago did you build this rig and have you checked for compatibility isues?

#4 maniclurker

maniclurker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

I built it about a year and a half ago.  I made sure to do my research with the compatibility before I bought a single thing.  Everything is compatible.  No, I use hardwired peripherals...  no batteries here.  I'll try out the malware bytes and etc.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

Be sure to use the free versions so there's no conflict with your active AV program.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#6 maniclurker

maniclurker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

I think I have some sort of malicious software preventing Malware Bytes from running...  it stops working the moment I try to scan.

#7 maniclurker

maniclurker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Mmmm...  this is frustrating.  I'm thinking of hunting down my Windows disk and re-formatting my hard drives.  I'm really averse to that, but I'm not sure what else to do.

#8 maniclurker

maniclurker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

Alright, in HWMonitor, my +12V rails are showing +7V.  I can't remember, but I think I checked this before when I first did the build, and this was some sort of goofy issue with HWMonitor not being able to get the proper reads.  However, I'll try to get ahold of a multimeter, and check the damn things myself.  Also, Super Antispyware worked, but Malwarebytes did not.

Edited by maniclurker, 10 June 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

is another software possibility to get that information.

malwarebytes not working bothers me. if things don't clear up quickly I'd recommend we move over to 'I think I'm infecter' and let one of the experts there walk you through a complete checkup

Keep us posted

Dick E

#10 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

The last time I had malwarebytes not function after install it was due to an infected system.....I assume.  No other scan software found any problems, but installing MWB failed when installing from the web, and only worked when transferred from a server direct to the computer and installed that way.  Tried to run a scan and it would shut down without scanning.  Problem persisted under admin and standard user accross multiple restarts and process monitoring at an enterprise level. The computer ended up needing DBAN'd then the OS reinstalled to corporate default. 

Of note, we never located the specific infection, but the symptoms were similar to yours....mouse and keyboard would freeze up requiring complete reboot to recover (we do not use backlit systems so did not have the light verification of a problem). We also never tried to track down the fault for an extended period of time due to cost restraints on time, but the similarities are too close to ignore.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#11 maniclurker

maniclurker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Uuuhhh...  doing a reformat is going to be a giant pain, if that's what I have to do.  The biggest problem being I might not be able to find my OS disk.  I don't have anything on my computer that can't be recovered, but you guys know what a pain getting all that data back will be.  Probably a week's worth of hunting around and downloading/installing.

To be honest, I don't even think rechecking the rails will be necessary.  With MWB not working being such a big deal, I think it's probably safe to assume it's malicious software.  I'll DL speccy and check that out, first, though.  Thanks!

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

If it's an infection, let's move over to the protected forum and get that problem resolved.

The experts there can do the most good with the least damage - just follow instructions VERY carefully :thumbup2:

Dick E

#13 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

have you tried running MB in safemode, or has this all been done in normal mode?

#14 maniclurker

maniclurker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

You mean my computer, or malware bytes?

#15 kaz20

kaz20

• Members