Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'display' Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fun_mike

fun_mike

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

Hello.
About 4 months back I was hit by the SpySheriff Virus.
I was able to remove it and everything, but I deleted the .dll or some file in the system32 folder or something that's a vital file to Windows.

Basically the problem is that I cannot have a background image on my desktop.
All other images work, like icons, video, video games, etc.

I right-click my desktop, go to properties, and go to the desktop tab - all the Background: images from (None) to Blue Lace 16 is shadowed/highlighted, and I cannot scroll down to view the other options.

Also, when I e-whore it up at myspace.com I cannot see some background images that I could see before the virus

I can only have the single colors selectable on the right side of the Display Properties Window.

So thank you in advance for helping a noob out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

Without knowing which file(s) was deleted, any simple restoration procedure requires having an XP install disc, *not* a restore disc or a restore partition.

If you have an install disc click Start > Run > sfc /scannow
Have the XP disc in the master optical drive. This procedure may take half an hour or so to complete.

If that doesn't work you will have to perform a "repair install". Instructions for this are here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users