Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to speed up Firefox browser?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

My firefox is starting to slow up are there anyways to speed it up? From switching tabs it seems to have a delay and when loading new tabs it seems to freeze the browser for about 5 or so seconds..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

How many tasks do you have running?  How much RAM?  What kind of CPU?  What extensions (add-ons) are you running?  What kind of Internet connection?  All these affect speed, and I have to tell you my dog broke my crystal ball.  :dance:

Edited by wpgwpg, 07 June 2014 - 04:26 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

Just firefox running

4gb ram

65 Proccesses running

40% CPU Usage

Add ons:

http://puu.sh/9jo82/87e691bf70.png

http://puu.sh/9jo9D/e2c62a4008.png

Internet speed is the same as when firefox was faster

#4 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

For some reason it only has say 3.25 ram usable. Why is this?

http://puu.sh/9joYj/2698c2e2dd.png

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

For starters I'd disable some of those add-ons, especially the Java ones.  65 processes running doesn't sound excessive, but I'm wondering what you have getting automatically started when you boot.  The 3.25 GB of RAM is par for the course with 32 bit versions of Windows.  With 32 bits you can only address up to 4 GB and Windows reserves a chunk for itself.  The current version of Firefox is 29.0.1, I don't know whether you're running that or not.  To see what's being started when you boot, hold down CTRL and press R, then type MSCONFIG and hit enter.  Then click the Startup tab (note: avoid the other tabs!) and you'll see a list of what's being started when you boot.  You can uncheck anything there except for your antivirus.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Only Avast and my uploading programme 'Puush'

#7 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

How do I disable the java addons. I use them for a game I play in Browser, would that affect the gameplay?

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

How do I disable the java addons. I use them for a game I play in Browser, would that affect the gameplay?

Probably would if you use them.  I mentioned disabling add-ons only because it could be a way to speed up Firefox.  Chrome is another browser you might want to try.  You can download it from google.com/chrome.

Good luck.

#9 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

Probably would if you use them.  I mentioned disabling add-ons only because it could be a way to speed up Firefox.  Chrome is another browser you might want to try.  You can download it from google.com/chrome.

Good luck.

I like firefox as I have my tabs for easy access and I have lots of bookmarks of youtube links that I like to play music when I'm browsing prehaps lots of the bookmarks could be causing the free/lag?

My firefox is also have the latest update

Edited by samuel3, 07 June 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#10 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

How do i Delete the Nexon game controller addon as I dont need that anymore

#11 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

I have deleted VLC media, nexon and the ulity add ons since removing VLC media player my videos play in windows media player I have some .MKV files that dont open with windows media, how would I play them?

#12 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

bump

#13 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

Just a piece of info.,try and google your problem,there are many fixes and tricks out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users