Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD External HDD Messed up bad!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thieffreak21

thieffreak21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

I have an older my book from WD, I was attempting to move some files from my computer to my wifes, when I plugged it into hers to move the files, all the files names and the drive names showed as these weird multiple character names, and I have had multiple errors accessing the files. the system shows up as FAT32 and sees the 931gb of data I have on there but wont let me access it. As of now I am getting "the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" error. I cant change the names of the files because it says "the file name you specified is not valid or too long" I am at my wits end, I need the information on this drive and dont want to reformat it, but it is looking like I am not gonna have a choice. I am running a windows 7 machine 64 bit. Please Help! i'll provide any info you need!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

First I'd try plugging it into a different computer in hopes that might work although it's possible the drive is going out.  Then I'd run chkdsk and let it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  You could also try downloading disk diagnostics from WD.  If none of this works, it's time to either pay through the nose for a data recovery shop or drown your sorrows at the local pub.   :wink:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

what does the drive look like in Dsk Manager?What happens when you plug the drive back into your

computer?

#4 thieffreak21

thieffreak21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Im running a diagnostic from WD as suggested, Ill put up a picture of what the drive looks like as soon as its done

#5 thieffreak21

thieffreak21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

WD 10EAVS External USB Device, is what is shows in Device Manager

#6 thieffreak21

thieffreak21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

so the diagnostic returned "too many bad sectors" Im about to reformat and call it a loss, unless you guys have another plan :(

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

I believe your drive will completely fail in time. Even formatting the drive will not prevent it. I would not put any data on the drive that you cannot afford to lose.

http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp

If data can be recovered off the drive, there are a number of ways. You can use PhotoRec. This will retrieve files with Generic names and the correct extensions. It is freeware. It recovers files in real time so the free space on the recovery drive should be larger than the data that is being recovered off the external drive.

The paid way would be with Active@file recovery. The Pro version can be had for $35 with the Promo Code. A trial download can be used to see if the data is recovered. It will require the superscan method.

Data Recovery can also be done with Linux usinsg ddrescue but the process is not intuitive. It reads the bad sectors mulitple times and tries to retrieve the data. The recovery drive has to have at least as much space as the external drive's capacity. ie a 750GB external drive will require at least 750GB of free space on the recovery drive with an additional free space buffer of 10% of the recovery drive capacity..

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 June 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

Yes the drives probably not too trustworthy now,it wouldnt hurt to try recovery of the data.

This might help,its supposed to skip bad clusters.

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/

#9 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

so the diagnostic returned "too many bad sectors" Im about to reformat and call it a loss, unless you guys have another plan :(

You can try to scan your drive with MHDD as it might be able to remap those bad sectors of your drive so that your files could be at least readable.

Edited by Frozwire, 09 June 2014 - 10:21 PM.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users