Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about my ram

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tBlakep

tBlakep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Well , im upgrading my ram in my computer , I currently have a Hp Pavillion Media center , The computer came with 3 gbs in it default so I went on crucial to findout exactly what I needed , and it said I needed pc2-6400 , but the default ram I pulled out is 5300 , do I need to put my faith in crucial? or get what was already in my pc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

I've never heard of Crucial giving folks the wrong info, so I'd be very much inclined to go with what they say.  However it wouldn't be a bad idea to check with HP and/or your user guide to see what they say, just to be sure.  It's not uncommon for a motherboard to support RAM within a small range of speeds.  

I have to ask do you have a 64 bit version of Windows?  The 32 bit versions can't address more than 4 GB, and even at that, you probably wouldn't see more than 3.5 GB available.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 tBlakep

tBlakep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

The computer came with windows xp , but ive recently installed windows 7 , and it is a 64 bit. and I called Hp tech support and he didn't tell me anything other then he will send a tech to my house for 200$ soo...

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

See if the Kingston site gives you the same result.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

I have an older HP desktop (2009 vintage I think), and I found there's a lot of info in a folder called C:\HP.  It's not easy to find your RAM specs, but I finally found a link to this site

C:\hp\documentation\GSMC_en-US.xps .  From there I was able to finally get to get to the page with the specs for my model at

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01640560&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3895001&ssf=1#N368

This is good for warm feelings that you're getting the right kind of RAM.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 tBlakep

tBlakep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

i did find out what I really needed , even thought the computer came with 5300 I can upgrade in fact it is encouraged to upgrade to 6400

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Nice news!!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy