Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Burner Not Updating

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ravie13

Ravie13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

Due to a lot of problems with spyware and malware I did a complete "QuickRestore" on my system (a Dell running XP) a few months ago and have been rebuilding it up ever since. I've been reinstalling all of its original programs (from the originally supplied Dell discs) and etc.

However - ever since the Quick Restore my CD burner has been a little iffy.

The original Roxio program just doesn't function - it doesn't even open - and when it does (rarely) it errors out or can't complete a burn.

It also used to work (and I forget the correct name for this here) in setting up CDs as "hard drives" that I could add files to. I had a small library of these "hard drive" CDs but since the reinstall the burner could not read them anymore. I found another free program on the internet that enabled me to re-set that up and finally read my discs again - but ever since I installed that the CD burner doesn't refresh. By "refresh" I mean that if I put in a disc with, say, "Photos A-G" on it - it will open it and read it and etc. But if I eject the disc and replace it with any other disc (let's say a generic music CD) - the computer still shows that "Photos A-G" is inserted and acts like its reading it. It won't open the files but it will show me all the files on the disc. It's like a ghost. The only way to get the computer to show what is now correctly in the drive is to restart.

(But then we have the problem all over again as now no matter what I put it - it still will think the generic music CD is in there.)

As to the burning - I borrowed the factory disc that came with my father's Dell (for Nero) and installed that. It was working fine but not anymore.

Now the computer will recognize that I've put in a blank CD and then ask me what I want to do with it - but then no matter how I choose to deal with the burn (either opening a writable folder, Nero or even attempting Roxio) - it then tells me that I need to put a blank disc in. But there is already a blank disc in!

I've tried a few different brands of blanks so it's not that I'm using an off-brand or anything.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:19 PM

Nero and Roxio won't coexist happily with each other. The spcial drivers that each uses to format a CD-RW and allow you to use Explorer creates discs that are not compatible between the two programs.

Nero calls their UDF packet writer/reader InCD; Roxio calls theirs DirectCD.

I suggest that you remove Nero, even though its the superior program and try again with Roxio. Uninstall Roxio and then reinstall it. There is probably a separate install menu item for the DirectCD driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users