Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC wont boot, slow or non-responsive in safemode.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zipeh

Zipeh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Working on my inlaws laptop.

Cant boot into desktop .. gets to welcom page.. and little further then blackscreen and error message(s).

WerFault and Explorer - Application Error

"The instruction at ..... referenced memory at. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x0000185"

I can not get to desktop to install or run things .. or look at event viewer

Safemode

Ran Avast Rescue - which found things .. but didnt fix the issue.

Ran Malware Bytes by pulling out the HD from the latop and running it on through another PC using sata to usb cables   - again found stuff but didnt fix the issue

Ran Kaspersky Rescue disk - which found a few things - but didnt fix the issue.

Went into safemode yesterday - but when i tried to install any apps like Tdsskiller .. machine went unresponsive.

Ran some built in diagnostics to check hardware a few days ago - but nothing glaring showed up - memory is foggy now .. but i know it didnt come back saying there was an issue with the CPU, cache, ram or HD.

I feel like the OS is messed up ..  cant explain why .. it just doesnt feel like hardware.  What i dont know is the OS damaged and needs to be repaired .. replace .. or is something nasty in there causing it .. or was something nasty in it for long enough to permanently mess with the OS.

Not being able to get in to do stuff is making this really hard to sort out .. at work i would have pulled the data and re-imaged by now .. but not my laptop to mess with ..  must try and fix it for the inlaws .. or else. :)

Anyhow .. i am willing to try anything .. but keep in mind i can not run software on the latop unless its from boot disk .. or by slaving the hd.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Two things you could try would be (1) chkdsk with the option to check for and attempt to repair any bad sectors, and (2) SFC /scannow from an elevated command prompt.  If you can boot to Safe Mode or the command prompt, you can do the SFC and schedule the chkdsk (which will require a reboot).

Of course you could always save the data then restore to factory settings too.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Zipeh

Zipeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Cant run sfc / scannow

hits 48% and i get "Windows Resource protection could not perfrom the requested operation".

Lets see about chkdsk

#4 Zipeh

Zipeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

chkdsk fails   hangs on 11%  doing a /r /f

so maybe im wrong .. might be a failing HD

gona try it straight up.

EDIT---   nm  left it at 11% for 2 hours .. cause im tired of it .. and it finaly replaced bad clusters ..  seems to be finding alot of them... not good.

Edited by Zipeh, 07 June 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

Rather than run chkdsk..which won't necessarily overcome whatever might be wrong...I would run the following hard drive diagnostic (generic/long) t on it for functionality.  Let us know the results.  The diagnostic is run from a bootable CD/DVD so it doesn't matter if you run it from your system or another system...run it from the troubled system, after changing the BIOS boot options so that it will boot from the bootable CD you create (following the SeaTools Guide).

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#6 Zipeh

Zipeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

i am burning the ISO for that CD now

but ran chkdsk /f /r .. took hours and hours and countless bad sector repairs later the laptop was able to boot all the way.

ran some updates and already getting some errors.

will run it as soon as it goes through some configurations post win update.

#7 Zipeh

Zipeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

didnt detect the drive

went into bios to change a SATA setting as per instructions.. but dont see anywhere to make the change.

ran a test on the HD from bios .. which fails immediately.  Failing HD.

So i was wrong .. even though the laptop was full of malware and virus -- the HD is the culprit for the lack of boot .. the CHKDSK looks to have put stuff back in order enough to allow inlaws to get at their data but a replacement HD is required me thinks.

#8 Zipeh

Zipeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

Ya checking a bit .. the HP 2000 doesnt allow the user to change any HD settings .. or really anything ..  boot order, a password and a diag for hd and memory and thats it .. bloody useless.  I hate computers. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users