Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 apc01

apc01

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

Both audio playback through the integrated sound card and recording through a USB microphone stopped working suddenly

I cannot play back or record anything

No application software can find the either the sound or recording channels.

In device manager both recording and playback devices are listed, enabled and working properly.

If I launch an audio track the sound bars levels against the device do not move. The speaker next to the clock is present and does not have a red cross through it.

The first thing I did was do a system restore to a couple of days previously when I know it was all working - still nothing.

I have checked the BIOS to make sure audio is enabled and set to automatic - it is.

Cannot be the integrated sound card - Dell XPS 430 - because the separate USB microphone does not work either.

It is like all audio functions have stopped being accessible to software applications, although Windows 7 Ultimate 64 sees them as present, enabled and working.

So Windows sees the audio devices, Windows applications do not.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Do headphones work?  How about bluetooth?  Bluetooth adapters are pretty cheap, I paid $15 for mine, but I'm told you can get them for as little as $5.  I have a problem with my Toshiba laptop speakers that I've circumvented with bluetooth speakers when home, and headphones when I'm not.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 apc01

apc01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Do headphones work?  How about bluetooth?  Bluetooth adapters are pretty cheap, I paid $15 for mine, but I'm told you can get them for as little as $5.  I have a problem with my Toshiba laptop speakers that I've circumvented with bluetooth speakers when home, and headphones when I'm not.

Good luck.

No - nothing works. I have also plugged headphones in to the audio line out port on the front of the PC and that does not work either.

And as mentioned in my post - the USB microphone also stopped working - so it is all audio input/output even though device manager says they are all working.

Edited by apc01, 07 June 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Bluetooth?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 TheNoSoundGuy

TheNoSoundGuy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

I have a nearly identical problem on my Acer. Drivers, services and even the icon are present but no sound plays.

Mod Edit:  You also have your own topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536880/acer-aspire-5732z-audio-no-longer-works/ .  Please...do not post comments here re your topic...respect the OP just as you are respected in your topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 June 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Is there any chance the ports where physically disconnected in any way? 

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#7 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

A couple things to try. Please right click on the speaker icon on the lower right side of your screen. The click playback devises. Make sure that speakers is set as defauly devise. If it is, please go to control panel/Devise Manager, find your sound card and uninstall the drivers. You should reboot the computer and let Windows reinstall them. If still no luck go to the website of your manufacturer or motherboard and download latest drivers. Hope this helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users