Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer after 2 weeks of no use

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 walyons89

walyons89

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

Went on vacation for two weeks and my toshiba satellite laptop wasn't used at all during that time (was off the entire time). Since I've returned it is running extremely slow. Like 10 minutes to open internet browser with it constantly not responding and scripts crashing. Any tips for fixing it. I've trying to be patient, restarting it, etc., but that doesn't seem to work. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

How's it work in Safe Mode?  Do you have a lot of tasks starting when you boot up?  What have you done to check for malware?  What browser(s) are you using?  If IE, it's known for being buggy so try Firefox and or Chrome.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

If it was working prior to your vacation try doing a System Restore using a restore point prior to your vacation.

Did anyone have access to this computer while you were gone?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 walyons89

walyons89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

Did the system restore and that seems to have worked. To answer your questions though: No one had access to the computer and it was off the entire time. I use firefox. Not many tasks on start-up, and I had AVG, malwarebytes and superantispyware. Didn't try it in safe mode. Thanks for your help and reponses.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Glad to hear the System Restore worked for you.  If you have not already done so, you need to make a new restore point.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users