Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Melted Monitor (a.k.a. "too Much Myspace")

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ravie13

Ravie13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:55 PM

Last evening I was sitting at my desk and I positioned a lamp over my monitor so I could see what I was working on better. After a while the lamp drifted down without me noticing and the bulb was sitting directly on the monitor.

It was sitting there for about five minutes before I smelled something and realized what was happening. The heat from the bulb melted the casing of my Dell monitor! (See picture below.)

The monitor seems to continue to operate perfectly and it appears that it is only a superficial "wound" but is this dangerous? Should I discontinue using this monitor? Again - it seems to have melted the plastic but does not seem to have affected any of the internal workings.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:42 PM

As long as it continues to function, I wouldn't worry about.
The wife once left a candle burning on the TV, and the holder got so hot, it melted into the case, permanently.
The TV continued to work for several years, with a candle holder embedded in it. :thumbsup:
Just consider it a "custom" monitor case. :huh:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bugsbegone

bugsbegone

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

oh man that burned clean through. It should keep working fine, just put some duct tape or electrical tape over it so you don't spill anything in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users