Good morning all, it's my first post here so be gentle ;)
Probably about a month ago my wife and I noticed that not all images were loading in facebook, most images do but some don't. My wife always uses IE 11 to browse and I always use Chrome and firefox. The image issue is the same on all three browsers. This is on a Windows 7 Pro system. Facebook looks normal when we look at it on our iPads, iPhone and android phone when they're on our wifi.
I originally had my router/firewall (pfSense) configured to use Google's public DNS servers (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11) so I changed them to our ISP's (Shaw) DNS servers so now the router gets the DNS via DHCP. That didn't fix it.
I brought another Windows 7 Pro laptop home from work and it was able to view facebook fine using our wifi. That was using Chrome and Firefox (can't remember what version but most likely the latest as it was last weekend and firefox is set to autoupdate).
Last night I wiped the computer and installed Windows 7 Pro fresh, installed all the windows updates, flash, adobe reader, chrome and the same antivirus (MS Security Essentials). I didn't test but went to bed figuring it was resolved. My wife tried facebook this morning on the computer and said it was still doing the same thing. I fired up Chrome and confirmed that both browsers were still experiencing the same issue.
I fired up a Windows XP virtual machine in virtualbox on this computer and it was able to browse facebook normally with all images showing up. That VM uses a bridged adapter for it's network.
I've gone through and checked a bunch of my facebook profile pictures and the ones hosted at both https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net and https://fbcdn-sphotos-?-a.akamaihd.net (question mark signifies g, f, d, and a as there's servers with those letters).
But all the images that do not load are hosted at https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net. That's my only clue so far.
I can ping the above server and get the following response:
When I ping scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net I get similar:
I've got nothing in my hosts file. No rules in my router/firewall other than a port forward so I can access a server I have in the basement via SSH.
My network layout is pretty simple, there's the cable modem which connects to my pfsense router/firewall which connects to a Netgear GS108T switch. My computer connects to that switch as does my FreeBSD server. For wifi, I have a Linksys WRT310N router which connects to my Netgear switch.
I'm really running out of ideas here. So please throw some ideas at me.
Edit: I should clarify that my wife and I have separate facebook accounts and this affects them both. I haven't tried with any other facebook accounts but maybe i'll invite some friends over to try.
Edited by liontaur, 07 June 2014 - 12:20 PM.