Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio files on SD card not showing when inserted into computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 missamy018

missamy018

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

Hi guys.  I do medical transcription part time for a small doctor's office.  They recently switched from using micro cassette tape to mini SD cards.   The audio files are recorded on a Sony Digital Voice Recorder, saved to the micro SD card, and the card is given to me to upload to my computer.  When I insert the SD card into my computer, it shows that there are folders, but each folder shows empty.  I've been troubleshooting like crazy with no resolution.  I'm not totally techie dumb, but I'm not the most knowledgeable either.  I cannot figure out why the files are not showing in the folders on the SD card.   Any advice?   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

My guess is that what you're seeing is looking for specific file types.  Since you didn't say what application is showing these folders, I'll just guess that there's an option to show all file types but it's defaulting to something other than all types.  If so, just change it to show all file types or type *.* in the file name field, and that should show whatever's there.  It would also help to know what version of Windows you're using.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 missamy018

missamy018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

My guess is that what you're seeing is looking for specific file types.  Since you didn't say what application is showing these folders, I'll just guess that there's an option to show all file types but it's defaulting to something other than all types.  If so, just change it to show all file types or type *.* in the file name field, and that should show whatever's there.  It would also help to know what version of Windows you're using.

Good luck.

I'm using Windows 7.  Here are screenshots of the whole thing, from the first step when I insert the SD card into the computer.  

When I insert the SD card into the computer, I get this and I click "Open folder to view files" 

1st.jpg

2nd.jpg

3rd.jpg

4th.jpg

5th.jpg

6th.jpg

Each of the folders show up empty.  I truly appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.  I'm going crazy and behind on work :(  I have 2 different SD cards that they've given me and both do the same thing and don't show any files in the folders. 

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

I see a file named MSGLSTL.MSF in that Voice folder that's 2208 KB.  What's in that?  It doesn't look like any type of file I'm familiar with, so I'm thinking you probably need some Sony app to open it.  Did this device come with a user guide and CD by any chance?  I know some folks think reading user guides can give you leprosy, but I always tell my students it's not true!  :whistle:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 missamy018

missamy018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

I see a file named MSGLSTL.MSF in that Voice folder that's 2208 KB.  What's in that?  It doesn't look like any type of file I'm familiar with, so I'm thinking you probably need some Sony app to open it.  Did this device come with a user guide and CD by any chance?  I know some folks think reading user guides can give you leprosy, but I always tell my students it's not true!  :whistle:

My googling led me to learn that the .msf file is a compilation of how different files and folders are stored on the card (or something to that effect) and not the actual audio files.  I installed the program that opens that type of file, but all it gave me was a white page.  I looove manuals and user guides, but unfortunately wasn't able to get it or the model number of the recorder when I went in to the office for it yesterday.  The person who had them was gone, so they told me to come back next week.  I've just been incredibly frustrated with this.  Your mention of having to use specific software renewed my spirits though and I went in search of that.  I did find software that is meant to be used with Sony recorders.  I installed it and it recognized the folders on the SD card, but is still showing them as being empty.  At this point I *think* that the doctor recorded the files wrong. She wasn't quite sure how to use the recorder and is new to it.  It has internal memory, so I'm hoping that the files were saved on that instead of being saved onto the SD card.  I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to find out!

I appreciate your help!  If anyone else has any inklings, please feel free to share.  If not, hopefully I get a resolution on Monday.   

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

FWIW I googled the MSF file type and saw in Wikipedia that Firefox and Thunderbird are able to open this type.  I'm inclined to suspect you're right though that the data probably wasn't recorded right.  Technology does incredible things these days, but it can sure drive you crazy when something changes.  Maybe a bottle of chardonnay would help. :wink: 

Good luck. 

#7 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

missamy018

Just to assure yourself that you are correct in assuming the recording was done incorrectly, just right click on the folders and go to "properties", that will show you if there is any data of any kind in those folders.

#8 joshnote4

joshnote4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

I believe I have the answer for you as I have encountered the same problem with my Sony recorder the SD card that was put into the recorder was formatted and files were placed on it to have data put in them but the device comes with internal memory and is stored by default there you have to go into the settings and change it to record to the external sd card the original files are not lost they are just in the internal memory on the Sony recorder.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users