Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Previews/Thumbnails

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HeyMedic

HeyMedic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

Yesterday, I lost all ALL of the jpegs on my comptuter to ransomware and I'm disgusted to say the least. I didn't back them up and I've been told it would take 100 years to decrypt them.  I'm sure as heck not going to give these theives $500 so I have to live with the consequencies. I have a little bit of hope in that I can view the thumbnails in Windows Photo Gallery and they will enlarge slightly when I hover my cursor over them....To about 3" x 2" on my screen. My question is, is there a photo program that could preview them to an even larger size? It would involve taking screen shots but it would be worth it to me. They're more sentimental than anything else. I'd greatly appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

I did a web search and found this: https://code.google.com/p/thumbcache-viewer/ I'd say it's worth a shot. You didn't say which OS you have, but the database files are stored in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer on my own Windows 8.1 machine.  (Replace Username with your correct Windows user account name).

Edited by Agouti, 07 June 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#3 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

HeyMedic,

I remember having a similar need years ago.

There was a program called genuine fractals .
That used mathematical extrapolation to enlarge.

You might find a freeware to do the same thing.

#4 HeyMedic

HeyMedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

Thank you, Agouti and Martel. I downloaded thumbcache viewer and I'll give it a try and I'll look into the genuine fractals as well. I don't have a problem with buying software.

I found out that the ONLY photos that have thumbnails and previews are the ones that were/are in Windows Photo Gallery. When I drop photos in from other files, it doesn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users