Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU doesn't want to work correctly

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 kev200

kev200

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hello 

I need some advice for why does my computer start to break down after some time when i install a new CPU.

My current PC Specs are : 

________

Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Manufacturer AMD
Speed 2.0 GHz
Number of Cores 2
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB
Total Memory 2.7 GB
Memory 4.1 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack 1
Size 64 Bit
Edition
Display Maximum Resolution 1280 x 1024
DVD _NEC DVD_RW ND-4571A ATA Device
CD _NEC DVD_RW ND-4571A ATA Device
Drive 1
Size 931.5 GB
Free 288.2 GB
Drive 2
Size 368.1 GB
Free 40.8 GB
Drive 3
Size 97.7 GB
Free 33.0 GB

_________

And i changed the current CPU of AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+  with  AMD Phenom II X3 720 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X3+720 < link for the CPU .

So is the problem with any of my current hardware that they don't want to work together correctly or can the CPU be in the fault here? 

Thank you for any replies . 

Edited by kev200, 07 June 2014 - 08:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hello 

I need some advice for why does my computer start to break down after some time when i install a new CPU.

Can you clarify what you mean by "after some time"?  It stops working after a while with the new processor?  After how long?

My initial thought is that these processors were released years apart and an AM2 motherboard designed for Athlon 64 X2 is not necessarily going to support an AM3 Phenom II processor.  In theory, AM3 processors can work in AM2 motherboards, but It almost certainly wouldn't work without at least a BIOS upgrade.

So we can have a better look at the hardware on the system, please download Speccy and publish a snapshot using this guide and include a link to the snapshot in your next post.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

a BIOS upgrade is often required-but the phenom also, runs hotter-if your using stock heatsinks, especially if you just kept the heatsink from the X2, it could be overheating. Also keep in mind the phenom likely uses more power-so it could be a power issue. Like jonuk requested, could you post the speccy report and a better description of what your doing? as well as your power supply and cooling.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 kev200

kev200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Okay i made my snapshot here's the link : http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CrpoLhJbmzq3S1cK8zhQ4jy

To answer the previous question of "how long after it stops working". When i install the Phenom CPU it will work for about 2 days, then it will start giving me the BSOD (Blue screen of Death) and after another 1  day it won't boot at all. 

And i have to say my current AMD motherboard supports AM3 Processors so i don't want to believe its the compatibility fault . 

To the Bios upgrade question : i have tried upgrading but there is no upgrades available . Windows 7 should update it , if it finds it necessary. Searched internet also , no updates found. 

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Okay i made my snapshot here's the link : http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CrpoLhJbmzq3S1cK8zhQ4jy

Thanks for that.

To answer the previous question of "how long after it stops working". When i install the Phenom CPU it will work for about 2 days, then it will start giving me the BSOD (Blue screen of Death) and after another 1  day it won't boot at all. 

Hmm.. That is most unusual.  So you put the old processor back in it worked fine again?  Have you tried the Phenom II since?  Does it repeat this behaviour?  If so, I don't have really an answer for that at all :(  Does a full power down (PSU unplugged or powered off by the switch) not allow it to reboot? My experience is that usually parts work or don't.  I can't think why un-installing and re-installing it would allow it to work but only for a few days.

And i have to say my current AMD motherboard supports AM3 Processors so i don't want to believe its the compatibility fault . 

Yes the CPU should be compatible with the Asus M4N78 Pro motherboard,

To the Bios upgrade question : i have tried upgrading but there is no upgrades available . Windows 7 should update it , if it finds it necessary. Searched internet also , no updates found. 

Windows update does not get involved in BIOS upgrades to my knowledge.  However I can see you have BIOS version 1303 installed which is the newest version released for the board.  No update is available to that.

Also as the_patriot asked, what power supply and cooling solution are you using?

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Windows update will not update the BIOS, that is something you have to do manually. That is a AM2 motherboard-it has AM3 support, which means in theory most AM3 processors should work, however, the operating word here is in theory. But we will check everything out, before saying its a compatibility issue. What BIOS version do you have, and CPU/cooling?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 kev200

kev200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

My Power supply should be stock and the model nr is FSP500-60APN 

INPUT 200-240 V

OUTPUT 500W

Can't seem to find what model my cooler is atm , it just shows a big "X" sign , but i think i have to remove it for a second to see what model it is.

(If i find ill add/ edit) 

For my Bios version : American Megatrends inc. 1303, 13.04.2011

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

I'd say the FSP 500w power supply should be fine for running what you have.  FSP is a reasonable make (they are an OEM for a number of branded PSU's).  A 500w PSU (408w on the 12v rails) seems sufficient for the components you have.

As for the cooler with an "X" on it, I can think of a few (Arctic Xtreme?) but it's not really important as long as it's sufficient to keep the temperature of both CPU's under control.  There doesn't appear to be a temperature problem with the X2 from the Speccy report.

To take up a previous point, can you confirm that the Phenom II CPU still works?  Have you tried it since the initial problem?  Does it behave the same each time you install it (work at first and then degrade over the next few days)?.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Out of curiosity, have you unlocked the 4th core on this AMD Phenom II X3 720 cpu??? This often causes instability. The cores are locked by amd for good reason. Did you buy the cpu new or used?

I suggest resetting the cmos to default values after installing the new cpu if you have not already done this.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 kev200

kev200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

I do often look what my cpu temp. is and it's always fine.

I have installed Phenom CPU  2 times , on the first try it ran for about 2 days then suddenly stopped , and then on the second try it ran for about 3 days. The temperature was always okay and i even removed the side case to allow more air run trough.

Yes it works like that every time , first the BSOD , then after that when i shut down the PC and try to turn it on , it constantly doesn't want to boot until 1 lucky moment , and then it finally stops working at all. PC doesn't shut down itself , it just wont boot one morning , but BSOD with 2 different errors i cannot remember atm did happen (which may lead to some answers).

EDIT: I remembered one of the BSOD i got while playing - page_fault_in_nonpaged_area .  ( Give me some time and ill remember the second one as well).

I have never tried to unlock my Phenom CPU , actually this is the first time i have heard of such a thing. I bought this CPU off from my friend who has used it for quite a while until he just upgraded to a better one , no i didn't buy it fresh (non-used) .

Should i google how to unlock ? Thanks for the constant reply's btw.

Edited by kev200, 11 June 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

I do not recommend unlocking the cpu. Because it was used, have you inspected all of the pins on the cpu before putting it in. Sometimes these will be bent or borken and can cause major problems.

After installing the new cpu, did you try resetting the bios/cmos of the motherboard? There are multiple ways to do this. The mainboard may be holding settings for the old cpu for some unkown reason. Resetting the cmos/bios settings to default may fix this problem.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

FWIW: How AMD Core Unlocking Works .  It's a motherboard feature that I haven't found to make a great deal of difference on this desktop.  I unlocked mine only to see if there was a perceptible difference in performance and there isn't for me.

Louis

#13 Guest_RoutaSielu_*

Guest_RoutaSielu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Most likely you would need to update the BIOS. Your motherboard (Asus M4N78 Pro) should easily run up to PhenomII X6 1100T which is 6 core CPU.

I was using the same motherboard with a Phenom X4 9550 and planned to upgrade CPU to the PhenomII series with either X4 or X6... but my board suddenly stopped working. Not sure if they are making those Nvidia based boards with lower quality or what exactly the problem is, but they seem to fry too easily (even with NO overclocking).

Here is list for CPU support. Please notice BIOS required for each CPU to function properly. I see the 720 CPU listed twice there. Make sure which revision board you have as well. For board revision 1.01G you would need BIOS 0603 or for board revision 1.02G you would need BIOS 0705.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4N78_PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/

Mine has been sent to e-waste and replaced with a board using AMD chipset.

#14 kev200

kev200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:38 AM

The problem is i cannot do anything much right now , i don't know if its really smart to just pop my new CPU in without installing thermal pase + cooler for testing or i have to go trough all that trouble every time . The point is when i install i have maximum of 3 days until it pretty much crashes so i need to make a list of everything i should try with that amount of time . So here is my list atm.

1.Reset cmos/bios.

2.Update bios (though it still seems to be the same version).

3.Try unlocking cores ( I am sorry but i didn't quite get the how-to from this suggested site http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/05/04/how-amd-core-unlocking-works/1 , do i have to go to bios and enable what exactly?

Edited by kev200, 12 June 2014 - 04:40 AM.

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

NEVER power up a CPU without a cooler and thermal paste!  It will overheat dangerously and potentially destroy itself in seconds...

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users