Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question About A Faulty Overheating CPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 he's dead jim

he's dead jim

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

hello all. just a question for my own curiosity.

:)

i picked up several identical systems for parts and during the course of testing the components, i found a bad cpu. no matter which motherboard i put it into, it would max out the fan speeds, and still oveheat to the point of major throttling. i tested several other identical cpu's under the same conditions and they never even got close to the max. so what would cause a cpu to constantly overheat like that?

the cpus are all intel Pentium D 945 processors 3.4ghz dual core (SL9QQ)

the thermal max is 63.4C

according to speedfan:

5 of the cpus idle at around 43C and max out at 59C when using prime 95

1 of the cpus idle at around 47C and always hits 63 and throttles when using prime 95

is it possible that the crappy thermal material betweeen the core and the heat spreader is no good?

thanks..

Edited by he's dead jim, 07 June 2014 - 08:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Reapplying the thermal compound would be the first thing I'd try.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

What is the size of the CPU heat sink? Is it of a questionable size and not providing enough heat transfer?

One of the best heat sink compounds out there is artic silver 5 compound http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

There's going to be chances of some variation from processor to processor.  Different steppings, batches and so on might be slightly different.  Maybe it is the heat spreader is not making such good contact on that CPU?  The difference between 59 for the rest of your CPU's and 63 is not much.  I am quite surprised it's maximum temperature before it starts throttling is that low though.  I once dealt with an overheating Pentium D 9 series which was badly throttling but it was hitting over 100 degrees on the motherboard sensor (the fan had clogged with dust and seized up).  I replaced the heatsink with a CoolerMaster TX3 Evo and that seemed to keep it under control going forward.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users