Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

clicking a button in app causes the keyboard to type "r"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drewyd

Drewyd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

Weird one this,

my wife is running a brand new computer with Windows 8.1 installed.

One of her app's given to her by her employer (on her intranet) which collects financial information from customers has a "Confirm" button. Occasionally (once or twice a day) when she clicks it immediately the windows "run" box (Win-R) pops up but the only letter the keyboard now generates is "r". I assume that the run box opens because of the "r".

So now if she goes to any open app/window and types she gets "rrrrr" etc.

So far the only solution seems to be to reboot - however she gets time docked off her pay if this happens, so it is not merely an inconvienience.

My only thought was that somehow some kind of sticky key sequence has been initiated, or that a key was stuck down on the keyboard (maybe ALT) - but this is not the cause.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this and/or how to escape from the situation without a reboot?

Cheers,

Drewyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

I had a similar problem on one of my Windows 8 systems.  I went to the local computer store, and bought a $4 keyboard, switched, and haven't had the problem since.  For $4 it's sure worth a try!

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

The application which the employer gave her, is it suppose to be compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1?

What is the name of this software?

Edited by dc3, 07 June 2014 - 02:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Drewyd

Drewyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:55 AM

Hi again,

I have tried a different keyboard, but not the problem. The application is supposed to be compatible, but I am seriously doubting it. It's called Citrix Xanapp.

I have tried switching keyboard maps to US English and back to UK - made no difference.

Cheers for your ideas so far guys...

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users