Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy deffective motherboard- possible reason?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

Awhile back I got a replacement motherboard since the one I had was dying (faulty dimm slots, faulty headers, ECT). The replacment board I got was a Intel DX58OG.

When I put it in however, shortly after use it would randomly freeze up entirely. Completly random, everything just would freeze. There was no screen artifacts, no BSOD, not anything that could help determine the cause. I enabled all the crash reports and they all came back blank as if nothing had happend. Everything, even the mouse, would just stop frozen in it's place untill I did a hard reset. Didn't matter what I was doing, it could be sitting idle, under full load, or have very light usage across all cores- it would freeze under any condition.  I tried differnt OS'es- froze, made sure it was below TDP at all times- froze, swapped all components (each seperately) except the CPU and board- froze. Trust me when I say that I tried what seemded to be everything.

In the end I just figured the new board was deffective and went back to the old board. I couldn't return it becasue it was past the 30 day return window from where ever I got it from, didn't remember where I got it from, had someone else order it for me (handed them the money), and it was clearnce/sale when I got it. It has/had a 2 year waranty from the manufature- but it was over 2 years old when I got it. The lack of proof of purchase probaly wouldn't have helped either even if I tried. SO I still have it and won't ebay it knowing it might be deffective.

The problem still hangs in the back of my head though. Whenever my CPU gets maxed out now I think about it. Knowing that if it had worked properly then I could have my CPU OC'ed and not be running into half the performance issues I'm having today. Somtimes I think there was a simple solution to the probelm I had and am tempted to put it back in to figure it out. Do you guys think Intel would be nice enough that if I sent it in that they would atleast tell me what was wrong with it? I have since unlocked the old board to use some of the more advanced features of the chipset- sutch as turbo boost. I'm going to upgrade before the end of this year (hopefully) so this probaly dosent really matter realisticly. On a mental level it tears at me though.

Will you guys help me put my mind at rest? This has been the most resourcefull fourm I've ever been to for computers- If you have a idea to what could've been wrong please leave an answer.

Edited by SEANIA, 07 June 2014 - 01:38 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

It could be a range of things that fail on a motherboard that cause it to lock up. The prime candidate is the memory controller hub (north bridge). It relates all of the information coming from the RAM, graphics and the PCI slots back to the processor. The real answer is it is just 'broken'. For the amount of time it would take to analyse and rectify any problem the bin is just the cheapest/best option.

It's the old likelihood of failure curve, in which electronics are most likely to fail in the first 3 months and after 3 years...

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Does this persist in Safe Mode?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

The motherboard isn't even installed in the machine anymore dc3... this is a speculative conversation.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

If they reinstall the new motherboard we may be able to glean enough information to figure out why this is happening.  Maybe even resolve the issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Oh sorry... I wasn't with you there. I thought because he said it wouldn't work even with different OS's it was broken.

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:38 AM

I really don't want to reinstall it as I'm almost out of thermal paste (what I do have to spare is low grade compared to the articsilver5 thats on it now) and the cable management in my case is a nightmare (8 HDD's, short power cables, 11 n some inch GPU). If you think it might be helpful I'll run the stuff on my current board and/or list what's in my case. Also will give any info you might want off the board. Putting it back in is my last choice and I'll probaly only do it if my current board actually dies completly.

It always persisted in eveything yes. It even froze during mem test once if I remember correctly (lol) didn't report any erros. I say remember correctly cause all the frustration and freezes are kinda blurred together in my mind now... The only time I recall it not freezing was inside the bios. Might've not been in their long enough for it to happen though. Sometimes would take 4 days to freeze and sometimes would happen 5 times within an hour. So I was reluctant to test it idleing inside the bios. Tested all the hardware seperately and ran into no problems aswell as on my current board testing the parts together.

Nother speculation theory of mine- The board had a 3rd party sata 3 controller (supposedly) built for SSD's. Intel used it on the board because they hadn't made their own sata 3 controller yet. Could the controller for that have failed and caused the freeze? My C drive was a SSD hoocked up to it during all differnt OS tests.

TsVK's theory sounds really good to me. I know the board is natorious for issues with memory.

Edited by SEANIA, 08 June 2014 - 01:39 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

A tube of Arctic silver 5 only cost about five or six dollars.

I would suggest removing all of the hdds and leave the ssd with the operating system installed and try the new motherboard.  Unplug all of the unneeded peripheral devices.

One very important question.  Did you install Windows on the ssd on the old motherboard and then install the ssd with the new motherboard?

#9 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

I'll get some the next time I head into town (closest radio shack 1/2 hour away). Where did ya see it for 6$ a tube? Radio shack only carries it in 2packs for 22$. I'll install the board Friday (family thing the next couple days) or sooner of time allows.

Have to leave the video card in (no integrated)or I can switch to my backup NV 9800gt if you'd prefer a more stable control.

I originally didn't reinstall but after a week of use and making sure all my files were backed up I did a fresh install. Still persisted obviously. If ya meant have I used the same SSD across the installs then yes I have.

Edited by SEANIA, 08 June 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

I was mistaken about the price of Arctic Silver being six dollars.  I paid about that much last December, but it now is 

$8.99 at Newegg.

There are identifiers that the operating system identifies from the motherboard.  If the SSD is installed with a different motherboard new identifiers are recognized which can cause problems with the SSD, like being confused with the other identifiers and possibly not be able to boot.  I learned this years ago when I did the same thing.  The computer would boot, but it had problems, but it continued to get worse until it wouldn't boot at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users