Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Reset ; System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Daizee143

Daizee143

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

I did a Fsctory Reset on what was Vista Home Premium (sp) 2 and would like to know if there is any way possible to retrieve images or docs. Also the spacks are not supported anymore so almost anything requires sp1. I do not have disc for Vista and am now SO SORRY I DID THAT. I tried a tool online and it displayed all my images and files but wanted  money , of course. But I can not afford any of that right now.  Any suggestions at all????  I appreciate any help. Thanks!!! :thumbdown:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

On the Downloads tab above, find Recuva and try to use that to recover your files.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 Daizee143

Daizee143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

I did and they would like money. lol Not able to do that right now unfortunately ,but it did show me all my files and images. 

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

Basically, all FREE recovery softwares have limitations. Some will allow you to recover up to 1GB of data only while some will try to bait you to buy by showing you all the files that you need to recover but won't recover it for you unless you register the software. But personally I am using MiniTool Power Data Recovery which I got from one of the Giveaway sites a couple of years back. And it really works well. It will allow you to recover your files exactly the way the are organized before they got lost/deleted.

If you can catch this (only 2 hours left before the Giveaway expires), you can try this one (Office Recovery Wizard) . If it asks you for email information, just use your secondary email and not your primary email.

Here: http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/officerecoverywizardstandardv2.1.1.5-803/

Edited by badr0b0t, 07 June 2014 - 12:20 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 Daizee143

Daizee143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

Thank you I am doing that now!!! :bananas:

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

I am not sure if it can recover images because the name says "Office". But it's a good start for recovering your important docs. I hope it works well.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi Daziee143,

Please pardon me for saying, but I have never known any recovery software to find any personal files once the HDD has been restored to factory condition. Everything on the HDD should have been written over.

Something else that may be of value to know is that the more you use the Computer once you have deleted/writen over the Files, the less chance of recovering them with any program.

What I always suggest is as follows:

Using a second computer to download and install Recuva Portable to a flash drive, then running it from the flash drive on the computer that has the lost files seems to be the safest way to get the best success. There is a trial version of Recuva so it should not ask you for money.

Also, in reference to SP1 & 2 for Vista, see below:

Please note: Service Pack files are a tad bit large in size. To prevent a corrupt download your connection must be good and consistent. If your ISP has a bandwidth cap as mine does, you may have to go to your local library to download the SP's.

Download SP1 from the link below to your desktop and install from there.
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

Reboot the computer.

Download SP2 from the link below to your desktop and install from there.
Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465)

Once the SP's have been installed, go to Control Panel > Windows Update and click on Check for updates. You should have no trouble installing the rest of the updates. To prevent any failed updates, install a few at a time. Install the larger updates by themselves. Choose the recommended updates first, then the important updates. Restore points should be created before each update install, that way if any of the updates causes issues, you can restore your system prior to when that update was installed.

Keep us informed. Especially if you have any failed updates or errors.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 07 June 2014 - 03:31 PM.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

I agree with DonnaB.  Recuva Portable on a flashdrive is the best way to go.  Also, it shouldn't ask you for money - it is free.  See:

#9 Daizee143

Daizee143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

Thanks you guys I appreciate all the help but am still in a mess. Tried everything and just getting deeper and deeper. Can't download the packs due to not enough space and tried a program for that and have gotten in a bigger mess. Probably need to stop and take it in and see if my guy can help. :-(

#10 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,359 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Can't download the packs due to not enough space and tried a program for that and have gotten in a bigger mess.

Not enough room on the harddrive after a system restore to factory condition??? Daizee, that just doesn't sound right. You should have tons of space on the drive. How did you go about restoring to factory condition? Have you transferred any files onto the computer? If so, that should be your last task to get your computer back to the way it was before the factory restore. Please do the following:

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click OK
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Expand the middle panel to full view.

Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please click on the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key.

Now go to Start > All Programs > Accessories and click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

On Vista/Win7 you could also use the snipping tool and click File > Save As... and save to your desktop.

Attach it to your next post, or if you have access to any online storage for images, please upload there and provide the link.

Thank you,
Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 07 June 2014 - 07:20 PM.

A cat named ugly

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#11 Daizee143

Daizee143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

I am sorry for not responding to all the help. I was wondering if anyone was available to walk me through this. My computer is in really bad shape now due to these service packs. No matter what I do, I can not get a successful install even though my updates say opposite?? Please help!!! I will be watching and waiting patiently for help with re-installing service packs. -Desperate.

#12 Daizee143

Daizee143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

I really am desperate. I did all of the above and still can not figure this out!!!!! Please, can someone help me figure out what has happened???  :killcomp:

#13 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,359 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hi Daizee,

I would be more than happy to help you. :)

Were you able to get the files that you said were found by that program that wanted money? And did you try what I suggested in my post above by using Recuva portable?

Please explain in detail where you are with this.

Please note: It may be best to just perform another restore to factory condition but if you haven't retrieved your files they will be lost forever.

A cat named ugly

#14 Daizee143

Daizee143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Donna- I am soooooo sorry for the delays!!! I post and am in such a mess with my desktop I shut it down!. Thank you for responding AGAIN!!  I recovered some things,yes, with Recuva. I now can't even get my packs back which is causing a domino effect! Nothing works, or even looks right. No updating anymore, no security. 

#15 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,359 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Hi Daizee,

Don't you worry about the delays. Do you have a second computer handy?

I have time this weekend to help you from start to finish if you can set aside the time. :)

Edited by DonnaB, 23 August 2014 - 07:16 AM.

A cat named ugly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users