Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound works fine in Linux but not in Windows

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 The Punisher

The Punisher

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

So I bought a laptop (Dell Votro 2520) It came with Windows 8 pre installed. Its a wonderful machine but the only problem is that when I plug in the headphones I get sound only in the left speaker. Same is the case with the external speakers, if I connect my external speakers to it I only get sound in the left speakers.

I thought there was something wrong with the sound port, but I was wrong. I checked it on Linux by loading Ubuntu from Live CD and the the sound works perfectly in Linux.

So its a driver issue? But why am I the only one with this problem? I cant seem to find this reported anywhere.

Here is what I did:

- I updated my windows to windows 8.1.
- I installed the Dell system detect software in my system to detect outdated drivers. It detected the sound driver (Cirrus Logic HD Audio) to be outdated and updated it to the latest version. The current version on my laptop is 6.24.15.4.

I'm open to suggestions. How can I fix this? 

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

If it's working fine in Linux, it means that it works better with generic drivers. You may want to try uninstalling the Cirrus Logic driver and let Windows 8 decide which driver to use upon reboot.

Or, go to sound setting and check if it is analog audio. You may be having problems with digital audio or vice versa.

Edited by badr0b0t, 06 June 2014 - 11:09 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:29 PM

On Dell computers, there are many issues in regards to upgrading to 8.1, especially in regards to drivers. Not all are "8.1 ready". There's still a pending Bluetooth issue with mine, though I didn't perform the 8.1 upgrade on it.

Did audio work properly when new with Windows 8? That would imply such. BTW, that computer was distributed with several OS's, make certain you select the proper driver from the drop down list.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ed/en/edbsdt1/Product/vostro-2520

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

Would using service tag number help in finding the right drivers?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Products/laptop

PS.

Of course it works in Linux.

Edited by NickAu1, 06 June 2014 - 11:37 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

PS.

It should, but not always 100% accurate, could be browser settings, security, anything. Sometimes the system analyzer doesn't work properly, I've had 6 Dells over the years & can state that with confidence.

That's why I prefer entering the Service Tag & manually reviewing the results. That way I get the right ones for my OS.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

If it's working fine in Linux, it means that it works better with generic drivers. You may want to try uninstalling the Cirrus Logic driver and let Windows 8 decide which driver to use upon reboot.

Or, go to sound setting and check if it is analog audio. You may be having problems with digital audio or vice versa.

Yes, I tried that as well. I uninstalled the driver, deleted its files and restarted.Windows was unable to install a driver for it by itself. And said no sound card installed or detected or something. 

Regarding the analog to digital option, I could not find it in system or control panel. Where is it?

Thanks

On Dell computers, there are many issues in regards to upgrading to 8.1, especially in regards to drivers. Not all are "8.1 ready". There's still a pending Bluetooth issue with mine, though I didn't perform the 8.1 upgrade on it.

Did audio work properly when new with Windows 8? That would imply such. BTW, that computer was distributed with several OS's, make certain you select the proper driver from the drop down list.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ed/en/edbsdt1/Product/vostro-2520

Cat

The issue existed in Windows 8 as well, thats why I thought upgrading to Windows 8.1 might fix it, it did not. I installed the driver using the dell system detect option. It gets installed on your system and finds the right drivers for you to install so I am pretty sure the wrong driver is not the issue.

Thanks

PS.

The drivers are correct, they were suggested by dell system detect.

Thanks

#7 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

PS.

It should, but not always 100% accurate, could be browser settings, security, anything. Sometimes the system analyzer doesn't work properly, I've had 6 Dells over the years & can state that with confidence.

That's why I prefer entering the Service Tag & manually reviewing the results. That way I get the right ones for my OS.

Cat

right, ill try it with manually selecting the driver and then ill report back

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:46 PM

Ok thanks Cat.

I ask for 2 reasons First to help the OP.  Second, I am thinking of giving Win7 a spin on my lappy and may need drivers.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:02 AM

Regarding the analog to digital option, I could not find it in system or control panel. Where is it?

Thanks

I am not sure if your laptop has HDMI, but if it does, it should have a separate audio playback setting as shown below:

Sound_settings3.jpg

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

Thanks

I am not sure if your laptop has HDMI, but if it does, it should have a separate audio playback setting as shown below:

Sound_settings3.jpg

Thanks.

My laptop does have HDMI but the digital option doe not exist in the settings window you showed above. I only see the analog option and a headphones option

Edited by The Punisher, 07 June 2014 - 12:11 AM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:15 AM

Open the Device Manager & see if there's any uninstalled hardware.

Attached File  Capture (Device Manager).PNG   61KB   1 downloads

Open the Action Center & click the Maintenance Tab to see Reliability History.

Attached File  Capture (Reliability History).PNG   78.9KB   0 downloads

Cat

#12 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

Open the Device Manager & see if there's any uninstalled hardware.

attachicon.gifCapture (Device Manager).PNG

Open the Action Center & click the Maintenance Tab to see Reliability History.

attachicon.gifCapture (Reliability History).PNG

Cat

Thank you for your help cat1092. I could not get the same results you showed in your screenshots.

However I was able to solve the problem once and for all by getting rid of windows 8(Even though I only recently bought this, I now regret paying for it). I formatted my hard drive and installed windows 7 on it.

Sound works fine on the drivers that came with with Windows. I am not installing anything else. Why fix it if it isnt broke :)

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

I was able to solve the problem once and for all by getting rid of windows

Yes. Getting rid of Windows is a good start.

I now regret paying for it

Yes. You and millions of others.

I formatted my hard drive and installed windows 7 on it

This ^ is good.....................This is not    ^... :hysterical:

Edited by NickAu1, 09 June 2014 - 04:12 AM.

Arch Linux .

#14 The Punisher

The Punisher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:14 AM

I was able to solve the problem once and for all by getting rid of windows

Yes. Getting rid of Windows is a good start.

I now regret paying for it

Yes. You and millions of others.

I formatted my hard drive and installed windows 7 on it

This ^ is right.....................This is not    ^... :hysterical:

I see what you are saying, but even though I keep linux a.s dual boot and do enjoy using it. I cannot completely convert to it. I am a gamer and until games show same compatibility on Linux as they do on Windows I do not plan on completely convert to it

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:23 AM

Thats fair, use Linux for the serious work, and,  keep Windows as entertainment ( because its fun trying to make it work, and you can write a book while it boots and loads something).

Arch Linux .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users