Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was this Registry Key malicious?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IllusionaryInnocence

IllusionaryInnocence

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:17 PM

I had recently done a system restore to undo the whole bug Adwcleaner had in a previous version and in the current version I ran it... and got a new entry referring to some kind of scheduled task. However now when I open Task Scheduler, it complains that Proxy no longer exists or something along that lines and I should click Refresh and then the thing comes up again. Was it a false positive?

# AdwCleaner v3.212 - Report created 07/06/2014 at 09:40:33
# Updated 05/06/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 8 Pro  (32 bits)
# Username : Stephen - STEPHEN-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Stephen\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[#] Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\{DF2D6074-8317-4050-890F-116E54CFAAD9}

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.16537

-\\ Google Chrome v35.0.1916.114

[ File : C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\preferences ]

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [875 octets] - [07/06/2014 09:38:00]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [803 octets] - [07/06/2014 09:40:33]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [862 octets] ##########

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OrneryComputee

OrneryComputee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:39 AM

I have this problem, too, so will be very interested in the fix -- oddly, despite the error msg, we still get the list of running tasks and can even modify them.  Noticed that you have Chrome and you also had a bug that's now removed.  Chrome gets its hooks into everything, and it's possible that something Chrome needs was removed along with the bug.  Seems like a longshot, I know, but after I (improperly) uninstalled Chrome using Windows uninstall feature without taking a necessary preliminary step, I had strange, strange problems that took forever to find and fix.  I had to move up to IE 11 to make any progress.  Would suggest that you go to the official Chrome page, follow the destrux exactly, and download/install a fresh version.  ALSO, you've used AdwCleaner, which I like, but did you specify which items to clean by clicking on the different topics?  If not, it will have "cleaned" some things that you'll wish it hadn't. I did that, just hit the clean-all button, and then looked at what it had done. Too late! At any rate, I don't have the energy to shoot yet another bug, especially when you've already posed the problem so clearly...  I'll just wait to see what the pros' answer(s) are.        'Proxy'   :spider   "Catch me if you can!"

#3 OrneryComputee

OrneryComputee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Sorry! Looks like you posted again on June 8 and got at least a preliminary answer (why these 2 posts are not shown together, I don't know).   Anyway, my suggestions are still valid and may help someone with Chrome or AdwCleaner issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users