Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Working In Background' cursor every 15 minutes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Double44

Double44

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

My Windows update settings were changed without my permission to 'Install updates automatically (Recommended)', I think this happened because a program i installed.

Windows automatically downloaded and installed updates, and ever since then I've noticed my cursor changing from 'Normal Select' to the 'Working In Background' cursor every 15 minutes.. and lasts for about 5-6 seconds. It's already driving me crazy. This could have only started because of an update, Malwarebytes detects no malware.

Below is a capture of the latest updates installed on the 5th.

MkXNIXC.png

Edited by Double44, 06 June 2014 - 10:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:13 AM

Do you have a restore point available before Installation of the updates  ?

If so...do a system restore.

have you been able to look in Task Manager as the 'working in background ' thing occurs ?

Let us know what happens.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

I think this happened because a program i installed.

So why don't you tell us what the program is??

#4 Double44

Double44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

Do you have a restore point available before Installation of the updates  ?

If so...do a system restore.

have you been able to look in Task Manager as the 'working in background ' thing occurs ?

Let us know what happens.

I would use System Restore but I almost like that my system has all of its updates, in the past some of those updates have never installed without error, namely the SP2 ones. I'm on Service Pack 1, so I don't understand how the SP2 and SP3 updates were successful.

I checked Task Manager and as far as I can tell, it looks like two processes of nacl64.exe, both related to Google Chrome. I had the processes sorted alphabetically, and these two appeared at the exact moment my mouse cursor changed, and disappeared 10-15 seconds after my mouse cursor returned to normal. This doesn't seem right though, Chrome has never given me this problem before. I added a capture below.

I think this happened because a program i installed.

So why don't you tell us what the program is??

I withheld that bit because it seemed irrelevant to my post, but I had installed Handbrake (a video editor) and Microsoft Essentials (for the Movie Maker program).

Attached Files

Edited by Double44, 09 June 2014 - 06:55 AM.

#5 Double44

Double44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

I also checked inside the Chrome Task Manager and the three processes below appeared:

Attached Files

Edited by Double44, 09 June 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Reset Chrome

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

Pay particular attention to :

Resetting your browser settings will impact the settings below:

• Default search engine and saved search engines will be reset and to their original defaults.
  • Homepage button will be hidden and the URL that you previously set will be removed.
  • Default startup tabs will be cleared. The browser will show a new tab when you startup or continue where you left off if you're on a Chromebook.
  • New Tab page will be empty unless you have a version of Chrome with an extension that controls it. In that case your page may be preserved.
  • Pinned tabs will be unpinned.
  • Content settings will be cleared and reset to their installation defaults. 
  • Cookies and site data will be cleared.
  • Extensions and themes will be disabled.

If you’re still having issues you may have a program installed on your operating system that is updating your Google Chrome settings. Learn more about programs that cause unwanted settings changes

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

No reply in 8 days.

Please open a fresh topic if you still need help

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Double44

Double44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

I actually discovered it was the Google Play Music extension. I turned it off and have no more annoyances :)

#9 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Alright then, We are glad you where able to isolate the issue on your own and managed to fix it! Please come back if you ever run into any other problems!

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users