Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Download Beta Anything?!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

Getting ready to do my first photo share via Flick'r, a recommended-to-me site. Options for uploading are via an email address or a tempting-sounding drag 'n drop program...which happens to be a beta version. What risks do I take when trying anything beta?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

There are Betas and then there are Betas. Usually, a Beta version is published so that many average users can test it; the version may therefore contain bugs, some modules or some functions may not work, and there may be problems with its ability to interface with other applications.
For example, Microsoft Betas are usually buggy while Google Betas have already gone through some user testing before release,so they work reasonably well, but await additional functionality in the future. If you can determine the source of the application or the application name, some Internet research should provide information and comments about the Beta version's quality. I would suspect that since Yahoo is involved, the Beta application would be as good as are Google's (but read any disclaimer before downloading or using it).

No Beta application should be relied upon for any "mission critical" purpose, and, unless you are faily computer savvy and able to troubleshoot minor- - -sometimes major- - -problems (after all, you are testing something), the best choice is to avoid them, and await a final version.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 26 May 2006 - 03:00 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

Thanks, John. I did a little research and found this on the pcmag site:

You'll also find that, in its current beta incarnation, the service is a tad buggy. In addition to the problem we had with building our friends list, we had occasional problems getting pages and controls to load properly. That said, Flickr is still wonderfully impressive—especially if you're part of the Internet in-crowd.

One confusing thing is that the homepage says 'gamma' under the Flickr logo but the download page states that the app is beta. The app is from Ludicorp, makers of Flickr. It looks like Yahoo acquired Ludicorp a little over a year ago.

All that being said, I think I'll go for the beta version, as I feel pretty confident after your response and my research. I'm wondering, however, about Windows Defender, which is a beta app. Advice?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users