Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Excel or Access better for my needs?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hi there:

I currently have a small business where I sell products to 2 different vendors.  I have a basic spreadsheet with the item code, my cost of goods sold, the vendors from which I purchased the materials, the vendor to which I sell it, and the price for which I do sell it.  I also keep the date of the original order, the date that I shipped it in, and the date that received payment, as well as the shipping tracking number.

I have been sorting this through Excel, and that has been going ok.  However, I am wondering if perhaps Access would be a better program for me.  Part of what I am wanting to do is evaluate which vendor is the best, how long it's taking to receive payment, etc.  My spreadsheet is currently around 600+ lines, and it gets time consuming to maintain, particularly after I work 20 hours a week on this business already, sourcing and preparing product.

Also, I am wanting to have more simple notifications that orders have been received and then paid.  My paying vendor allows me to type in an order number and check the status of the order that I sent in (steps are Received and Received, Awaiting Payment, and Paid.)  I have to manually check each one of those, but I'd like to find some way to have my spreadsheet (or Access program) update itself.  I have looked at the source code for the page where this data is, but it's all in AJAX type coding, and the data isn't actually there on the page.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

I've used Access once in my career as a logistics manager years back. I would say Access is easier to manage and maintain than Excel. That is if you already know how to use Access. You can create reports anyway you want and you don't have to worry about creating the document in the right format from the beginning (columns and rows). It can be re-formatted and create filters anytime in any way and export them to excel format if needed. As to other applications of Access, I haven't really got deeper into it when I went back to my original career path in structural and architectural design field. I was only able to apply Access in SAP system which I don't think is still being used a lot these days or still being used at all! :)  Go for Access!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users